• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Milk fish -

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Nesim

Jul 14, 2004
Hi every one,

Here are some pics from yesterdays trip.
Finally managed to land one of the larger Milk fish that i have been seeing. This one is relatively small compared to the 1.5 m monsters that i see from time to time.

Was blue water diving just off large rocky (mini island), the water was about 45 m deep, i was actullay drift diving for King fish.

Dropped down to 13.5 m, and waited hoping that the king fish would show up, after about 1min 40 sec wait i ran out of air and started my slow assent, as i looked up, i saw her just beneath the surface, took aim with my Rabitech 130.... and gently pulled the trigger, was a long upward shot, about 4.5m from the tip of the gun.... got excellent penetration through the lateral line.... landed the fish without a fight :)

The rest of the day wasnt too eventful, a few trevali's, groupers, snappers ect... unfortunately no King Fish

Happy diving to you all....

Nesim

Last edited:
WOW! Its the first time I've seen a milk fish... It looks like a giant mullet.

thanks ....

Actually i am not 100% sure if its a milk fish or not... I have seen these things grow up to 1.5 m with an approximate wieght of 50-60KG .... They are surface swimmers and extremly skittish.

I have speared one that size about a year ago.... took me on one hell of a wild ride... its innitial burst was simmilar to that of a proche on sterroids. took approximately 50 m off my reel before it turned aroud and swam straigh towards and past me, created so much slack it was impossible to control, and the spear just slipped out....

been trying to hunt one ever since and get a good solid shot, yesterday was my first chance, but it was a baby compared to the ones i usually see....

Can any one confirm if that is actually a milk fish....

Regards

Nesim

Thats a beautiful fish!, I would guess that if you didn't stone the fish that it would give some fight.
I think that these fish are quite similar to mullet in food preference etc.
How is the taste? maybe a good opportunity for a recipe?

Huan

Thanks Huan
So it is a Milkfish :)
"Max. size: 180 cm SL (male/unsexed; Ref. 9710); 124.0 cm SL (female); max. published weight: 14.0 kg (Ref. 9814); max. reported age: 15 years "

14kg max published weight is a bit strange though, the one in the pic was more than that, i've seen them in Max size range and they are MASSIVE deffinately more then 14kg :hmm

well i hope i land one of the bigger ones some time soon ... Thanks for the link :)

Nesim

Managed to nail a second larger Milk fish - she was in the 22-25 kg range!

Last edited:
Hi every one,

Here are some pics from yesterdays trip.
Finally managed to land one of the larger Milk fish that i have been seeing. This one is relatively small compared to the 1.5 m monsters that i see from time to time.

Was blue water diving just off large rocky (mini island), the water was about 45 m deep, i was actullay drift diving for King fish.

Dropped down to 13.5 m, and waited hoping that the king fish would show up, after about 1min 40 sec wait i ran out of air and started my slow assent, as i looked up, i saw her just beneath the surface, took aim with my Rabitech 130.... and gently pulled the trigger, was a long upward shot, about 4.5m from the tip of the gun.... got excellent penetration through the lateral line.... landed the fish without a fight :)

The rest of the day wasnt too eventful, a few trevali's, groupers, snappers ect... unfortunately no King Fish

Happy diving to you all....

Nesim

bro do u think that the huge milkfish you saw were tarpoons?

was that in Mussandam?:blackeye

cheers

killer, dont know if that was in musandam or not, i do know it was waaaay back in 2004 though :)
cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT