• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

minimum size limits

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

texsurfer

Feb 14, 2006
Hey everybody,

I recently started spearfishing the shallow reefs where I live with a jbl pole spear and have seen plenty of cabezon and sculpin, I was tempted to shoot on my last foray, but didn't because I was worried that the fish I was aiming at wouldn't be within regs, How do I verify proper size limits, is it kind of a best guess/ judgement call?

Objects look 25% larger underwater, you can thank physics for this....

so it can be hard to determin a legal size fish if you are just starting out. buy putting marks on the tube of your polespear/gun you can have a guide for the proper length. as they are both underwater at the time, their sizes will be relative.

so you see a fish, identify it as Species X, you then take a look on the tube of your gun and look for the length mark of "Species X". does the fish you are about to shoot look longer then your mark? yes? good, now shoot it...

Last edited:
Put your gun down on the bottom somewhere and since you know how big it is look at it from different distances. This should give you an idea of size underwater. You will get better with experience.
What Amphibious I think is saying is mark your polespear say at 50 cm then you can put it sideways and guess from the distance the fish is away it size.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT