• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

modifying fins?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pekka

neoprene dreamer
Aug 22, 2001
have anyone of you tried modifying your fins?
I have thought of putting some glassfibre or carbon fibre strips on my longfins...to get more stiffness, I don't know if that is really needed, but perhaps in the future..
new fins are just so expensive that I have thought of doing something with my old ones..

Pekka

You're going to play Hell trying to bond onto the plastic fins, even with epoxies. The carbon or titanium :p strips would need mechanical fasteners, ala rivets and then those holes would want to break, so... Maybe wrapping the rubber areas where the fins mount too, along the rails. In the end I think you're going to expend a lot of time and energy for little benefit.

sven

hey Andrsn...why dont you just buy some of those "nature's wing" split fins all the scuba boys are into instead of making your own?:cool:

rigdvr,
they're already made. great for cave hunting and lobstering. especially with the comfy cressi foot pockets. :)

You're going to play Hell trying to bond onto the plastic fins, even with epoxies. The carbon or titanium strips would need mechanical fasteners...
Well I do have m3 something glue, that has worked just fine..it is used to glue helicopter blades and I belive it'll work fine for plastic and fibres... perhaps I should try just for fun of it, before I really start my CB training...
Nice fins andrsn;)

HF Mod

I have the HF from cressi. I found them a bit too stiff so I decided to do a mod that a local freediver instructor had done. If you look in the back of the fin there are about 10+ support veins. Well I took a carving tool and removed all of them, but two. I removed them up to the half way point were the fins side support begin. The mod worked out really nicely, if anyone wants further details let me know.

Nice topic guys! I am also thinking of possibilities to improve my Gara HF...and I think the loss of energy through lateral washout(water escaping the blade by flowing to the sides) is the biggest problem we are facing.
Have you ever tried to attach lateral vertical edges, just like those of the C4?
I think this could be a great step forward, I mean nearly all carbon fins have those rails, but I've never seen them on plastic fins.
I've tried to glue some smooth windscreen wipers on my older Gara LD, but I didn't have the right glue so they went off.
Any ideas?

the glue for fins..

Chefkoch you should find a special glue made by M3 company it is a glue specially designed for helicopter blades and is very flexible when dry, but holds fast! I have glued carbonfibre and glassfibre sheets together with that stuff and they could take the strain put on the when diving..
I have thought of makeing some "rails" on my fins, that would make a difference in stiffness as well.. I'll let you know how it goes... as soon as I get back in water... I got my appendix operated........uh what a summer..

no; i don't think you should put things on each side of the fins (like on the C4) it's disturbing the way u kick.
Pro finswimmers and monofinswimmers never never add vertical rubber on each side of the fins.
If you have the technical skills u don't need those things on your fins.........

The reason pros don't use rails is that they are not allowed in the rules. That is changing though, I quess, since I've seen Russian monos with water quides on the middle of the blade. And then of course there are those leading-edge bulges.

ossi

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT