• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

monkfish revenge:

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
As a former fish monger I've cleaned many of these about that size--fortunately all deceased. The outer snaggley teeth are sharp for sure but deep inside where that poor dudes fingers were are a second set of really nasty teeth are around crusher sphincter muscles. He's lucky he's got all his digits--and it's funny because it turns out alright--tragic if it doesn't.

The way they are designed and hunt is to lie in wait with a spine on top of the head with a little flap of skin that wriggle like a worm. When something gets close to investigate or feed that huge maw snaps open creating suction drawing in the prey. Snapping shut the outer teeth hold and the inner grab to draw in to digest. Seeing the beaast in the catch bag--the diver probably though it was deaad, went to get it out of the bag and...clomp! Watch Youtube for all the dudes that get snapped by a "dead" shark--same principle.

Reactions: Jonny250
Here is one my brother caught about 25 years ago.
I can remember the day quite well, Dave was aqua diving for scallops in about 80' just off an old maritime fortification 1.5 miles off shore.
I was boatman, Dave had been down a few minutes when I noticed his buoy signalling, he was coming up!
As he came near the surface I could see he had a big fish, I thought a big turbot but not the 64lb angler he had knifed through the jaws & had his hands either side of the knife holding the fishes mouth closed.
Here you go bro, he says & offers me the angler... very much alive LOL....

Reactions: bobdonny and agbiv
Foxy--that's a right sea monster. Interesting it was taken on a scallop bed as most commercial take is from scallop draggers. Anglerfish/Lawyerfish/Monkfish all same thing. Anglerfish for the spine and "worm"; Lawyerfish for the lying about with teeth and Monkfish for the loose brown skin like Monk's robes. Eat well and often called "Poor Man's Lobster". Loins are the only real meat and they're a pain to clean.

They are pretty rare nowadays... more like rich mans lobster now!

Loins are the only real meat and they're a pain to clean.
they're not to hard actually a fish monger showed me they have their skin which you can peel off and then a few layers if membrane that will peel off as well apart from the getting the cheeks out (very tasty) you can get a monkfish cleaned up and ready to cook without a knife.

Charlie: We got very few whole, most came in dressed already--all in the learning curve. Senior Fox: Now that I noticed the hair in the photo I'm glad you informed us it was taken 25 years ago. I also have a real important question for you,,,"What does Fox say?".

they're not to hard actually a fish monger showed me they have their skin which you can peel off and then a few layers if membrane that will peel off as well apart from the getting the cheeks out (very tasty) you can get a monkfish cleaned up and ready to cook without a knife.
I have this pet hate about chefs changing fish names, monk fish is not an edible species, although it is not actually toxic the flesh is said to be like jelly & besides it is an endangered species.

Reactions: agbiv
Charlie: We got very few whole, most came in dressed already--all in the learning curve. Senior Fox: Now that I noticed the hair in the photo I'm glad you informed us it was taken 25 years ago. I also have a real important question for you,,,"What does Fox say?".

"What does Fox say?".

Senior Fox: you are obviously in a cultural void--Fox says: Ring-a-ding ding. Look up Ylvis and "What does Fox Say?" On Youtube.

Don't worry, Fox. You're not missing much if you haven't seen the Youtube fads.

Who, me? :giggle:

Ok, I'll join in. Look up World's Cutest Frog - Desert Rain Frog. It's one of my many favorites.

Reactions: agbiv
Snork! Loved it--my eldest daughter has a dog that had a squeaky toy that sounds like that--til it was shredded and eaten.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT