• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Monkfish, where and how?? or shall i give up now!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Heh Heh, was working in Norway 5 or 6 years ago and my colleague was pointing out an anglerfish to me with his big yellow wellie. Next thing you know it had his leg in its gob up to his knee which gave him a good fright and me a good laugh!

Reactions: podge and Mr. X
I was just filleting a big wrasse I'd speared yesterday when I remembered an incident from a few years back. We had some rather snooty friends around for a meal. I remember that I had once told them that plaice was our favourite fish to which they implied that they would not eat such a "common" fish. So we served them monkfish which was at the height of its being "the" in fish. They declared it the best fish they had ever eaten and demolished seconds and thirds. I did after all have plenty of it as it was in reality wrasse fillet.

Dave.

Reactions: Mr. X
I was just filleting a big wrasse I'd speared yesterday when I remembered an incident from a few years back. We had some rather snooty friends around for a meal. I remember that I had once told them that plaice was our favourite fish to which they implied that they would not eat such a "common" fish. So we served them monkfish which was at the height of its being "the" in fish. They declared it the best fish they had ever eaten and demolished seconds and thirds. I did after all have plenty of it as it was in reality wrasse fillet.

Can I ask how you cooked it?

I've heard SO many times that wrasse is just plain inedible... but then on DB, there are a fair few wrasse munchers who love it!

:confused: Still a little unsure on the matter! :confused:

As a former fish monger here in the USA the anglefish (not angler fish, two different species) are also called Monkfish due to the loose brown skin said to resemble monk's robes. They are also called Lawyerfish due to the huge mouth full of snaggly teeth. Look down into the throat -- there's a second set inside the throat. What goes in definitely doesn't come out!

Most here are taken off New Jersey and that area whilst dredging for sea scallops.

Meat is called "the poor man's lobster" but at current prices no poor dude would buy either.

I understand most off our waters are taken relatively deep.

Dave.

That is pure class!!

Reactions: Old Man Dave
Excellent story OMD. Did you ever tell them?

I had "Monk fish" (probably Angler fish) in a Chinese restaurant last year, in a fish stew type dish. I was sceptical that it would be genuine (as I have heard several stories of ethnic restaurant sourcing fish, meat & seafood from "unusual sources") but it had the meaty texture I had been told to expect. I didn't really get much of the taste because of all the spices. It was quite pleasant though.

I was watching Trawlermen today & they featured one of the most successful Scottish skipper whose speciality is Monk fish (they looked like angler fish to me). Apparently they come and go know body really knows why or where yet - but presumably this skipper has more idea than most.

My first job after i left school was in weymouth sealife centre, when I started they'd recently aquired a proper monkfish(I can't remember how they came to have it) of about 30lb. It was in one of the quarantine tanks by itself but was refusing to eat, so everyday for half an hour I had to wave a mackerel around in front of its face trying to trigger it to attack(using a large pair of tongs!). After a few days I got a bit bored of it so stopped paying attention, I was gazing about with my arm in the tank when there was a flash of white and a huge splash. I looked down at the fish to see it was clamped on the tongs about an inch from my fingers. At that point I went and changed my under pants. They can move very quick when they feel like it.

Reactions: devondave
No. That was the only time it ate and it died soon after that.
I was trying to spare everyones feelings but you forced it out of me.

Reactions: agbiv and foxfish
There's some terrific vid of a monkfish on YOUTUBE. Was taken at depth on the hull of the wreck of the HMS Ark Royal by a ROV. Good description of the fish as well. Use monkfish as search word.

Last edited:

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 155
Reactions: Huw and agbiv
Lucky git!! i think i will have to take a trip into cornwall once i am allowed back in the water!!

Its a shame you cant Plonk that bad boy in the HOF amd FOM!!

I had an angler yesterday in 30metres while scuba diving. About 10lb (small one). It managed to give my fin a good sucking at one point. Only my second monk in the last 3 years.

Dave.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT