• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mono line vs dyneema

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I have the stuff from Benthic but somehow it wraps up in the bands when I shoot stopping the shaft. Doesn't do it all the time, about 50%.

I have the stuff from Benthic but somehow it wraps up in the bands when I shoot stopping the shaft. Doesn't do it all the time, about 50%.
That's not good. Do you use a gun with the line up on top next to the bands? For years I've used guns like the Wongs that have a side line release which keeps the line away from the bands pretty well. But when I got an Abbelan with a reverse mechanism, it concerned me that the line was up there next to the bands so I did a little modification. I put a loop of stainless wire in the side of the gun so that it routed the line lower. Of course a pin would have worked just as well, but the loop lets me run the breakaway bungee through it so that the float line can't pull the bungee of of the line release if it pulls sideways.

Of course it helps that my Abellans are wood. I'm not sure I'd want to drill into carbon fiber or aluminum. I like wood because I can drill holes in it.

Sorry. I tried to attach photos, but got a message that they were too large for the server to process. They weren't any bigger than others I've posted all along. Maybe our new software changes something.

Edit- Stephen says its a bug and they are working on it.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Bill. Maybe I can't make some mods. I shoot a 130 Budak Power (teak).

I hope I can post photos soon. But if you send me an email at the address in my sig line I can reply with photos.

Last edited:
Stephen says the server problem is fixed so I’m testing it even though I already emailed the photos.

I'm using the stiff dyneema succesfully for more than a year now. I has performed like a dream for me shooting big reef fish and also blue water. I don't trust crimps in dyneema lines, so I use the knot Rob Allen recommends in his videos.

Bill: nice to see you around. Hope you're healing fast :)

Jinkai make a quality monofilament that many spearos use for their shooting lines. The slick outer surface is what makes mono low drag as it is hauled through the water by the shaft. Braided lines and woven cords have that little extra surface drag that adds up over a longer line length. Low drag is important over the maximum flight distance to the target, after that the line needs to be strong more than slick. A nick in mono and it will break well under the stated breaking limit as all the "eggs are in the one basket", one strand of line! The stretchiness of mono supplies that degree of give which stops it from snapping as tensile load goes up and accommodates the jerks, up to a certain yield point.

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=137725

Last edited:
I see that I tried to attach photos of my dynemma long ago but was unable. I'll try again.

Attachments

• linerouting2.jpg
    linerouting2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 275
Yippee, it worked. See post 24 for an explanation and rationale for this rigging. Until I tried this stuff I had used 400 pound mono for many years, but I think this stiff spectra has less drag. You may ask why I didn't try 300 pound mono. Good question. In Southern California many spearos place a premium on being able to see their shooting line when a fish is wrapped up in kelp in poor visibility. It helps prevent cutting your shooting line with kelp, or even worse getting tangled in the shooting line. The only line we know of that is really high vis is this Momoi 400 pound outrigger mono, so a lot of divers use it. Other lines may be more flexible or have other attributes but we want the line to be easy to see. This stiff spectra comes in a bright green color, so that's why I was willing to try it. The 1.4 mm is rated at 330 pounds, and it's not going to get nicked like mono. It's very hard to cut it with your knife. https://benthicoceansports.com/products/1-4mm-stiff-dyneema

Unfortunately I was out of the water most of this last season with a hole in my leg so I haven't taken many shots with the spectra. If I decide I don't like it, Neptonics is selling a similar hi vis mono in 200 pound test. https://neptonics.com/mono-spearfishing-line-and-crimps/

It should be low drag, but I'd worry about nicks.

Attachments

• momoi.JPG
    momoi.JPG
    352.4 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
Sorry. I looked back at earlier posts and saw that I’ve mostly repeated myself. I guess you can see whether I contradicted myself.

It may be great on most rigs but I'll never use it again, cost me a $100 shaft, and never could stop the tangles.

Attachments

• IMG_4102.JPG
    IMG_4102.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 279
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT