• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Monofin perimeter protection!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Ben Gowland

Aplysia gowlandicus
Apr 4, 2002
I have started glueing rubber piping along the edge of my monofins to protect the from being smacked around when I am near stones/boats/people. I did it because I was constantly chipping the fin edge on poll walls and rocks (and occasionally on other people's monofins.

Yes - I am a spanner (UK euphemism for idiot)

Does anyone else do this?

Would anyone care about changes in the hydrodynamics of the fin? I don't think that it could make much difference.

:duh

Ben, could you describe what you used, and how big it is, etc. I was worried about the same thing.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

monoblade side protectors

Hello,

Check out www.mat-mas.com
They have these protectors. I'd say if they're sleek and flexible enough, they won't make such a big change to the hydrodynamical characteristics of your fin.

Many beginning finswimmers are recommended to use them. You know what I mean if you've ever been 'sliced up' by a flailing mono. Using the side protectors you'll do less damage to your fellow swimmers and to the mono itself.

Lynn

P.S.: you should see the dents in my first mono blade (and in the unfortunate swimmers who encountered it...) :D:eek:

Last edited:
Originally posted by icarus pacific

GOTCHA!

sven DB's circling shark

I'm one of those guys that you can do the "hey, what's that on your shirt?" , point at my shirt, then flick my nose as soon as I look down....about 4 times in a row:blackeye , so don't feel TOO proud of yourself ;)
Erik Y.

Me too Eric.

Right

'Good fin' - I used 6mm external, 3.5mm internal diameter silicon tubing on the sides and 3mm e, 2mm id for the blade end.

'sea/thrashing fin' - I used 14e, 3.5 i on the sides, and 6, 3.5 mm on the trailing edge.

I don't really care if the second one looses a bit of efficiency, but the first one is a comp fin and it 'looks' like it won't make much difference, but a visual inspection is not exactly proof.

Ben

Awww Erik, ya killjoy!

What about slitting a length of heatshrink tubing, applying it to the blade (s :t ) and heating it so it'll bond? I think it'll take the flex.

sven

Have you try electrical tape? I tape the sides and trailing edge of my Omer Millennium Comps because they get banged up a lot in the pool and the plastic does start to fray.

I use 3M electrical tape, available at the local hardware store. Use that brand, not other cheap off-brands because 3M tapes have the most strength and leave the least gummy residue after being subjected to sunlight and sea water.

For the sides (and leading edge on your mono), just wrap the tape width around the edge. I use 2-3 layers, which gives a nice, relatively soft cushion in case you bang into someone.

For the trailing edge, use a full width of tape on the top-side and the bottom-side of the fin, mate the top & bottom tapes together and sandwich the trailing edge. This gives your fin a 'frill' edge that you can trim. Use 1-2 layers to keep the edge thin (or 1 on top & 2 layers on the bottom of your fin). For my fins, the tapes then follow the contour of the fin's water channels to keep its hydrodynamic properties.

The taped edges do wear out, but replacing it takes no time at all.

Peter S.

Nice one Peter - sounds like a good idea.

Just to tell you guys - I tried my new Ultra-protected Mono on saturday and it was dreadful - but well protected!

The side ribs (very thick) made some sort of 'wave' go down the fin which manifested as a continuous vibration when swimming. Felt wierd - it also felt a lot softer than it used to (which I think is due to the foot pockets).

I am going to try my 'good' fin out on tuesday - and if that feels bad as well then I will not be recommending this avenue of fin protection to anyone, ever!

Ben

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT