• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Monofin stiffness???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mermaid Magnolia

Sep 8, 2017
Hi everyone,

I have a question about blade stiffness. I have seen several guides that say stuff like:
- If you are tiny / have low weight, pick soft blade stiffness
- If you are of average built, pick medium stiffness
- If you are tall and/or heavy, pick hard stiffness.

Ok. But. WHY? That is my question. Why shouldn't a small, skinny person pick hard stiffness if that person wanted tons of propulsion?

I am a speed demon and I want as much as propulsion as possible. I have medium height and weight. Should I, or shouldn't I pick (extra) hard stiffness, and why or why not?

Curious about what you all have to say!

The "Freedivershop" (www.freedivershop.com) gives the following hints: < 65 (143 lbs) kg body weight : soft, or medium (soft), when you're in good shape. 65 - 90 kg (199 lbs) : medium (soft ), and hard when you're a good swimmer, over 90 kg they say go for hard. I'm 176 cm tall with a weight of 65 kg and I'm fine with a medium (soft) Waterway glide. On the whole the guys of the "Freedivershops" are right in my opion...

Hi everyone,

I have a question about blade stiffness. I have seen several guides that say stuff like:
- If you are tiny / have low weight, pick soft blade stiffness
- If you are of average built, pick medium stiffness
- If you are tall and/or heavy, pick hard stiffness.

Ok. But. WHY? That is my question. Why shouldn't a small, skinny person pick hard stiffness if that person wanted tons of propulsion?

I am a speed demon and I want as much as propulsion as possible. I have medium height and weight. Should I, or shouldn't I pick (extra) hard stiffness, and why or why not?

Curious about what you all have to say!

I forgot : I think there's some physics behind. Beyond the issue of muscular strength, I think being a low weight guy it is easier to keep a good horizontal position with a soft blade. The undulating movement with a monofin causes a reaction - compensation -of your upper body. Thus, with a stiff blade it may be more difficult to control your position in water..

I would say go as soft as possible.

I'm using a molchanovs level 1 stiffness and it's the most powerful monofin I've used.

My opinion is the same for bi fins. Hard stifnesses can replace good technique, for power, at the cost of being harder/ more tiring to use. If you have good technique and can generate power properly a soft fin(s) will be better.

I'm pretty sure alexey uses and recommends the softest stiffness as well if you ask for advice when buying the mono.

I was also really torn between stiffness choice. I ended up getting a Molchanov 1.5 stiffness based on their recommendations (I'm 85kg, and a cyclist (big fat legs)).

Another factor is that using a fin that is too stiff will make you feel like you are going really fast, but you are in fact going slower. Pool work allows a diver to find out actual speed.

There's one thing that hasn't been discussed and it's the use you plan with you mono. Hard monos are more for finswimming (races) while for dynamic/snorkeling you need soft blades. If you go for depth training, a bit stiffer blade than for the pool. And don't forget that each company has its own scale of stifness. What is hard in a maker X could be medium in maker Y

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT