• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Monofin video

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

OceanMan

Feb 22, 2005
Hi all,

I'm looking for videos showing good monofinswimmers in dynamic apnea.
Think it could be useful to improve my own style.

Thanx to tell me where I could find some on the web.

bye

Hi,

I know there is a video clip in the freedive photo gallery on the spearfishing.com.au web site. He does a 200m mono. I know Ive seen may more clips on other sites, but I cant remeber where they are off the top of my head, try making a search on this website there is a lot of discussion on videos. I don't use monofins so I cannot comment if it is good or bad technique, but he does go 200m. Good luck

Dive safe,

nageurcouleur.gif

http://www.finswimmer.com/nps.php?ids=14&l=ita

OceanMan said:
In this video, Peter puts something weird around his neck. Any idea of what it is?
It is a neckweight, some people use them for dynamic because it gives a better balance of weight.

Lucia

Hi Oceanman,

You are asking about the neckweight... The one I used in the attempt of the 200m was 1,8 kg, but adjusting it a bit, it is now close to the 4 kg. Adding a neckweight will equal the bouency of the lungs -and because of the lungs are situated in the frontend of the body, and you are going forward, the weight should be around the neck and NOT around the waist like some do...

You can check if the weight is enough when your body is going in a straight line and not going down (to little weight) and not going upwards (...)

I hope that this will help you.

Take care and train hard and safe!

Deepest...

Peter P

Oh my god !!! Peter Pederson is talking to me !! I didn't know this was possible ( I'm quiet new on the forum !! )

Your monofin technic is perfect, in my opinion.

Thanx for the answer but I have so many things to ask you !

First : Have you been taught monfinswimming or did you learn it by yourself ? I know it's a kinda weird question but in most french freediving clubs, we are not taught monofinswimming. We are just given a monofin and we have to learn alone.

What is your training ? How did you manage to perform such a record ?

Kind regards.

Just to add to what Peter has said, another good way to adjust your bouyancy is to use a "back" weight (a weighted vest). This places the weight exactly over the lungs. It's an alternative to the neck weight.

One good way to know the correct amount of weight is to take off your fins, start a no-fins dynamic, but remain still right after you kick the wall. So you make a good strong start and then you slow down untill you almost stop moving forward. Then you will either sink (too much weight), stay there (neutral bouyancy) or start surfacing (positive bouyancy).

If you are planning on doing a long dynamic, I would advise you to start just a little positive. Because at the end of your dynamic, your bouyancy will be LESS than what is was in the start. So start just a LITTLE positive and you'll be neutral at the end. If you start neutral you will end up negative at the end, something that might not help you much when you try to surface without much efford.

By the way, if you see the video of Peter's 200m WR, that's all you need to see. The best monofin technique I have ever seen. I will soon see the video from his 190m dynamic here in Greece, during the winter games. Maybe his technique is even better now! :)

Panos Lianos said:
By the way, if you see the video of Peter's 200m WR, that's all you need to see. The best monofin technique I have ever seen. I will soon see the video from his 190m dynamic here in Greece, during the winter games. Maybe his technique is even better now! :)
Don't forget to put this video on the internet and tell us where to find it
:)

Thank you for this link.

Quiet strange monofin technic. Very low at start and then increasing your speed : 153m anyway, that's great. I would like to do that !!

Hi Oceanman,

I made a discription of my training for Apneamania.com: http://www.apneamania.com/code/training_sel.asp?catID=6&tipID=7
Here is everything you need!

I´ve heard many times that I was former finswimmer, but I´m not. I was a regular swimmer from I was 6 years old till I was 10, but I don´t think that it is the reason why I swim this way with a mono :)
I started using the mono in 2002 and I´ve recived corrections from a danish former 8-time worldrecordholder in finswimming Bo Jacobsen 2 times. Other wise I´ve been filming technique UW and corrected it myself.

The record was just a natural development. My PB was increasing and suddenly I had the chance to do an official attempt.

Hard and dedecated training pays off...

Good luck with your training...Mabey I´ll see you in a competitions some day.

Best regards...

Peter P

Thank you for your answer.

I have another important question : what is the stiffness of you monofin ?

The fin I used for the Rec-attempt was a WW mod.2 medium.
My new fin is something like an early WW One Wing medium.
Check here: http://www.finswimworld.com/1_wing.htm
-This is an improvement of mine, but it is still not perfect!
And neither is the Glide-fin in case someone thought so...I know because i´ve tryed them both!

Best regards...

Peter P

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT