• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Monofinning Video Critique

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jkivi

Jan 8, 2003
So... I finally persuaded my triathelete buddy to get an underwater camera case for his digital camera. It finally came and here is the first of probably many videos of me monofinning or diving. I have arranged / begged him to let me borrow it from time to time.

Here is a link to my page with a video of me monofinning. My undilation is pretty huge. I am not sure if that is right and wouldn't mind some pointers if anyone gets a chance. Also if the video isn't good enough tell me. I am sure there will be more to come. :) As a note the video is about 6megs. Don't worry about wasting bandwidth on my end since it is on the universities server hehehe.

www.ucalgary.ca/~jkivi

jer

Not an expert opinion

Hi,
I'm not an expert in monofin (I use stereo).
But I think you are bending too much your knees, and also your head should be more streamlined, a little more below the level of your arms.
Just my 0.02 cents

So Jeremy...

Let me start from your fingers...
1. You are pointing the way with your fingers. Keep them straight and make them point at the same place all the time. Not up and down.
2. Put your arms behind the head and have them completely straight. It is very tough to keep them there for the first 2 months, but then it starts to get easy. (noone says that learning is). Put one hand on top of the other.
3. Start the movement in the lover chest by "rolling over the water". Still keeping the arms straight.
4. Use your hips! The lovest point of this movement must be your...if you know what I mean ;-) NEVER your knees.
5. And speaking of knees... Your knees does not have to be 100% straight, but only slightly bend. 15-20% maximum.
Yours are near 90%
6. Have fun!

Regards...
Peter P

Peter,
So if I understand it right, your knees should only follow through, and never add to the impulse by bending to make the lower leg and feet move. Thanks for the pointers.

Adrian

Yeah, I have watched my video a few times and I can see what you are saying Peter and Frank. Thanks for all of the tips. I am going to be posting some more videos in the near future, hopefully swimming tomorrow I will try to make some adjustments. I have been talking to a swimming buddy of mine and he mentioned the couple months it takes to get the arms above the head and have it feel comfortable. It is always feels nice to get my weak style torn apart. <grin> :)

Adrian,

Bending your legs 15-20 degrees and pushing down will give you some thrust, wich you need! The main thrust comes from the abdominal muscles and the hips.
Beliving that the legs has to be completely straight is a commen misunderstanding, because people who bend their knees to much are always told to "streach those legs"

I wrote 15-20%...I ment degrees! (I was pretty drunk when I wrote it - just kidding)

If you haven´t seeen the video of my 200m, you should check it out. It will give you the idea. The style is not perfect yet, and I hope that it never will be...

www.danskfridykkerforbund.dk -look under Disciplines.

Regards...
Peter P

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT