• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

monofins and cramps

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

underh2ohio

Nov 7, 2001
I would love to try monofins, but have this fear of getting a cramp in the arch of the foot or the calf. With bi fins you can still kick up with one leg. What do you do if you get a cramp in monofins 100 feet from the surface? That keeps me from using them. Can someone put my mind at ease?
Thanks,
Mike

i just saw this old thread, anyone have experience with this?

Adrian

Every once in a while you may experience cramps when using a monofin (depending on your state of training mentally and physically, nutrition, hydration, magnesium intake, etc.). In constant weight a cramp is a rather unpleasant thing but it doesn't have to frighten you off. There is an easy solution to the problem:

--> whenever a cramp is hitting you strong: SWITCH TO IMMERSION LIBRE. Means: pull yourself up on the rope by using arm pulls. 9 out of 10 cramps occur during the ascent phase anyway. The switching to IL works just fine if you use a REAL ROPE. You souldn't worry too much about cramps then. They can spoil a good dive but normally don't bring you in big trouble.
Whenever you are going deep with a mono and a) just do fundiving without any rope or b) use a TINY SMALL CORD (small buoy with a cord from a diving reel for example as orientation and safety) you can forget about using arm pulls and cramps can turn into a real issue again. :rcard

Simply keep in mind what your limits and possibilities (equipment/rope/buddy) are and you should be fine. :eek:

Pat

I used to get a lot of cramp in my arches of my feet from the mono - and then I started doing some foot stretches before I put my fin on and that helped. There is no doubt a yoga name for it but basically you sit on your heels with toes flexed against the floor and hold it for about 5 breaths. You will feel the stretch in the bottom of your feet.

Then change position so you sit on your heels with the tops of your feet flat on the floor - you will feel the stretch at the tops of your feet and up your shins. For a stronger stretch, lift each knee gently in turn and hold for a few breaths.

It works for me
Sam

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT