• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

monofins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dakdiver

Jun 22, 2002
I,m a Seattle freediver, and I,m thinking of getting a mono. I'm looking at the monos from diveinn.com. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appriciated. Also, I'm in need of some dive buddies up here. Currently I'm trying to get a club together. Let me know if you're interested.

Monofin

Hey Dakdiver,

Check out www.finswimming.ca it is Waterway Canada. They are Russian fins that are better then the ones on diveinn.com at about the same price. The contact name is Peter he is very nice and up front.

DSV

I have dealt with Peter, and agree with DSV that he is a good guy with excellent equipment at reasonable prices. I don't know anyone with any experience with those French monos, sorry.
Chers,
Erik Y.

'French' monofins

Hello,

These 'French' monofins you saw on the diveinn website are in fact Italian Mat-Mas fins, see www.mat-mas.com .

The Mascot fin is a beginner's training fin used in finswimming clubs: cheap and floppy and very heavy compared to the fiberglass ones (the Mascot has a plastic blade). Good for learning if you've never had fins on your feet: you can hit it sideways to the pool wall without fear of destroying it when you're learning to do flip turns, you can kick (!) your fellow swimmers without hurting them... but it's no use at all for the more serious work. Nevertheless, I think the plastic blade and sturdy footpocket do make the fin fit for riding waves, it's almost unbreakable.

The 'rounde' = Ronde fin is a standard fiberglass mono which is available in different stiffnesses at Mat-Mas.

And last, the sprint fin is something you absolutely Do Not want to get when you don't do sprinting competition. No good for freediving, dangerous for beginners and people w/ weak knee joints: the fin is just not made to use for much more than an occasional 100m sprint race.

Another thing about Mat-Mas fins: the footpockets are almost rubber shoes; very sturdy. The chance of cramping up your feet in a Mat-Mas footpocket is minimal but you have to like the feel of having lots of toe-room and thus less propulsion from the front part of your feet (when not wearing socks). They're excellent footpockets if you wear a pair of neoprene socks though.

Hope this helps.

Lynn

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT