• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Moray Eel Fears

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

christian daehler

May 27, 2016
For whatever reason, I have an extreme fear of Moray eels. I find this weird cause i'm not too afraid of sharks- I've swum with reef sharks and have even fed them all by hand without a problem, and I imagine that I could swim with some larger sharks too (except Great Whites ), even though I haven't had the opportunity to yet. This fear isn't snake related either cause I can also handle snakes just fine- We find the occasional snake in our yard and it's no problem to pick it up with my hands (if I know it's not venomous) to get it out of the yard. But Morays are a different story...
For some reason I cannot handle eels at all. If I see one, I have too keep my distance, and cannot remain calm enough to get a good breath hold if i'm too close. Because of this, I've been unable to get myself to swim though some coral caves, even if I'm physically capable of doing so because I'm just too afraid of pissing off any eels that may live in that cave and getting bit. Any of y'all have any eel stories, 0r just info on them, to either confirm my fears as valid or ease them?

TLDR: I've recently been too afraid of swimming through coral caves because of the possibility of pissing off a moray eel. Are these fear valid or not? Got any stories to help me understand eels better?

Reactions: abdessalam
But why? They do not attack unprovoked. Oh, and I'm actually jealous as I've already swum with Dolphins, Turtles, Reef Sharks and Dugong in the Red Sea but have never seen a Moray yet :( I think if i were you i would actually try to get close to them and get used to the feeling to be around them. At daytime they should stay in their caves anyways.

Nothing to worry about! You can get really close to them and they won't do anything, very docile creatures (just like most of the marine life). Of course you shouldn't go around poking them, but even at arm-reach distance you could safely observe them.

Yup, not much to worry about. I've pretty much poked my camera in the face of a moray, but he was pretty chill about it all. He was pretty small though, if that matters

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT