• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

MORE DANGEROUS THAN A SHARK (?)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Ouch! So small and beautiful, yet so deadly and painful. Here in Aus we have the box jelly fish, you'd be dead in something like 3 mins from a heart attack :eek:

Ouch! So small and beautiful, yet so deadly and painful. Here in Aus we have the box jelly fish, you'd be dead in something like 3 mins from a heart attack :eek:
Yeah, I don't know the name of this one, but I would prefer to swim in circles with a Tiger Shark rather than touch this little bastard. Was diving naked. Could really have hurt me. Short dive in the video, because I just broke of previous dive when I met it...

Yeah man, lucky you saw it! Any idea what the species is?
No idea. Was hoping some of you guys could tell me. First time I've seen it here (Tenerife, Canary Islands). It looked mean. Like a spider. Its treads were only about 1 meter long, but they were only like four of them and they were kind of shiny (not visible in the footage)... I've seen many jelly fish, but never one like this one. So compact and strong. I could feel this was a killer...

No idea. Was hoping some of you guys could tell me. First time I've seen it here (Tenerife, Canary Islands). It looked mean. Like a spider. Its treads were only about 1 meter long, but they were only like four of them and they were kind of shiny (not visible in the footage)... I've seen many jelly fish, but never one like this one. So compact and strong. I could feel this was a killer...

It stayed near the bottom at all times. After filming it (about 200 meters off shore) I just left it... I will be looking out for these guys the coming days...

image.jpg

You'd have some nice scarring and possibly be dead if it was the box jellyfish

Wikipedia quote:
'The box jellyfish actively hunts its prey (small fish), rather than drifting as do true jellyfish. They are capable of achieving speeds of up to 1.5 to 2 metres per second or about 4 knots (7.4 km/h; 4.6 mph).[8]'

Scary stuff!

Wikipedia quote:
'The box jellyfish actively hunts its prey (small fish), rather than drifting as do true jellyfish. They are capable of achieving speeds of up to 1.5 to 2 metres per second or about 4 knots (7.4 km/h; 4.6 mph).[8]'

Scary stuff!
This one (the one I met) seem very much in control of itself. Almost like a fish. I guess that's what really alerted me. Never seen a Jelly fish like this one. It moved and looked like it was (is) the King of the ocean...

Its "head" looks like a black and white star. About 7 cm long, but with a thick body and treads (arms, about 4 of them) no longer than 1 meter... uhhhhhhh

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT