• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

More suit questions.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bindlestitch

Dec 18, 2002
Hey guys,
I've been searching the forum for opinions about the best wet suits for freediving and now I'm ready to finaly get a good one. But I'm on a budget.:head
Heres what I'm looking at:
Picasso Apnos 5mm or Cressi Competition 5mm.
The Cressi is less money from the Scubastore but not by much. I will be wanting a suit for colder water swimming. Where I dive the water temp in winter is around 35f and I chill pretty easily. So I was also wondering if 5mm would be enough to keep the chill out for an hour or so of diving?
Thanks is adavance and any info you can give will be helpful. :)
Much obliged

Spend the extra money and get the cressi supercomp with the foldover waistband. I get cold easily too and I love this suit.
Jim

Cressi SuperComp

Ted and I went out spearing in one of the few lakes that wasn't covered in ice last week.
I stayed very warm in my Super Comp. My hands and feet got a bit cold, but I think that I have that figured out now.

The price on the suit is right and it has very little water flow through it- like none!

I am very happy with mine.

I did just pick up a Henderson Ice Cap to wear under the hood. I plan on using it in winter time for freediving in under the ice. It is a thin little 3mm thing that fits under a regular hood.

Jon

Jim and jon,
I was looking at the super comp also. I'd read some very good things about it on the forum but I kind of put it by the wayside, because scubastore doesn't know when they'll be getting any in my size. I'm ganna email them and see just how long it will be because you guys have sold me on the suit! :)
Much obliged and God bless,
Israel

ice cap?

where can I get one of those? I get such ice cream head ache freediving under 10C even in a 5ml hood...
never heard of an under hood thing before...

Sam
anywhere in Europe if possible

Sam,

At Jon's recommendation, I went sniffing around the Internet for one of these. They are a little hard to find...this is where I found the caps that Jon and I bought.

I used mine in 35-39 degree F water three days ago and was amazed. No Pain at all. I hate going through that initial shock phase where your face hurts for 10 min before it goes numb. My mask sealed tight on the neoprene (once I realized that it was leaking because I had the thing on inside-out :duh). Even your lips don't get numb because then are tucked back in the cap and the snorkel blocks the water convection. Even when you spit the snorkel, your lips still stay much warmer than without the cap. Could be because they are surrounded by warm flesh, or possibly the cap limits water convection even without a snorkel. Whatever the reason.....it kicks ass not having a numb face. The ice cap is one of the best freediving purchases I've made in a long time. Worth every penny (and then some).

http://www.akmining.com/dive/divegear.htm

Last edited:
Sam,

The icecap is made by Henderson.
If you have any dealers in the UK that carries them you should be able to order one through them.
If not, you can do a web search. I think that I got mine through some "Alaskan mine diving supply company".

Sorry that they don't come in a small enough size for your bear. ;)

Jon

Last edited:
Suit update

Hey guys! All I can say is thank you!
I got my new cressi super comp in the other day and wow am I impressed. I took it out today and had to break ice to get into the water. The air temp was about 30 f with a pretty good wind chill. I'm not sure of the water temp but I'm guessing somewhere in the low 40's f ? I actually started to sweat under my suit when I got in the sun! What a marvelous peice of equiptment! I can't wait to get back out but I'm going to wait for the ice to thaw because I don't have a dive buddy.
So in short, thank you to all who recommended such a great suit!:)

I'm looking for a good freediving suit, it gets pretty cold here 10dg C give or take, I doubt we ever get a temp over 16 dg C even in summer, any suggestions? I dont want to be constricted by wearing a 10 mm suit.

Hey Manta99:

I quote: " Official OMER team freediving suit for cold waters. The CHINO 45 is the result of wetsuit manufacturing aimed at the elite and uncomprimising freediver. Utilizes the world-famous 'Yamamoto 45' smooth exterior and open cell interior neoprene."
This taken from Omersub booklet.

I've got this suit and it comes in either 5mm or 6.5mm.
Truly an amazing suit!!:D :D :D
Price range: $480-520. It's well worth the money.
Check out the site@--www.omersub.com/omer

Hope this helps.

thanks for that it is a really big help and sounds like a ideal suit for me, what i always wanted :)

Manta,
If you're on a budget like me check out the cressi super comp at the dive shop . You can get the link from this site. I think the super comp starts at $184.00 or somewhere in that area. I use it in 40 degree f water and even colder. There are several people on the site who use it. (They're the ones who recommended it to me) An amazing suit for the price.
I don't doubt that the Omer Mastoras suggested is amazing. I've never used it but I've heard only good things about it. I'm not discrediting it at all , just offering a suit that is geared for a smaller budget.
God bless,
Israel

excellent i know its hard to find a good quality suit in such a low price range i'll check them both out.

Omersub professional superstretch 6.5mm

I just got an Omersub professional superstretch 6.5 mm and tried it out yesterday in 7 degree water. I was warm and comfortable the whole dive (1 hour+).
I haven't tried other apnea suits to compare with, but compared to my old gear this suit is like swimming naked.
With mitts and booties I needed 21 pounds to be neutral at 30 feet.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT