• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Most accurate gun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

docsaulgef

Sep 22, 2023
After advice. I spear in warm central Queensland on the barrier reef. I need a new gun. Ive speared for years and have my own large boat so length can be anything. We target coral trout and red emperar occasional grouper or tusk fish. Fish range from 2 kg to 10kg. 40 cm to 80 cm. We spear between 3 meters and 15 meters depth. Im after accuracy over power, but I think a roller system is best. The most accurate gun ive ever used is a borrowed single roller carbon amrite. My double rubber Riffe (non roller) was also good. Tried several other guns and missed easy shots. A very expensive double roller Mannysub was lost recently but I didnt really love it. ANy advice welcome.

Reactions: Mr. X
After advice. I spear in warm central Queensland on the barrier reef. I need a new gun. Ive speared for years and have my own large boat so length can be anything. We target coral trout and red emperar occasional grouper or tusk fish. Fish range from 2 kg to 10kg. 40 cm to 80 cm. We spear between 3 meters and 15 meters depth. Im after accuracy over power, but I think a roller system is best. The most accurate gun ive ever used is a borrowed single roller carbon amrite. My double rubber Riffe (non roller) was also good. Tried several other guns and missed easy shots. A very expensive double roller Mannysub was lost recently but I didnt really love it. ANy advice welcome.
The most accurate gun I've shot is my invert roller. It's accurate because I've worked hard to power it correctly, build it with components that mitigate flight issues, and the gun's recoil is very controllable. I use it in the reef for the same size fish you're after and larger.

I know it doesn't quite answer your question and inverts aren't for everyone, but the key is my second sentence. Regardless of the gun you choose, I'd recommend keeping those items in mind.

I've shot great and terrible guns in almost all configurations, so it's not the type of gun, but rather how it's setup and how you control it.

If I had to recommend a store bought gun, it would be the Rob Allen line. If money was no issue, the Timberline roller is what I'd get. Rob seems to work hard on providing quality components and making sure they shoot well.

I've had great success using RA shafts due to their stiffness and straightness. The only downside is they eventually rust, but I live with it.

The most accurate gun I've shot is my invert roller. It's accurate because I've worked hard to power it correctly, build it with components that mitigate flight issues, and the gun's recoil is very controllable. I use it in the reef for the same size fish you're after and larger.

I know it doesn't quite answer your question and inverts aren't for everyone, but the key is my second sentence. Regardless of the gun you choose, I'd recommend keeping those items in mind.

I've shot great and terrible guns in almost all configurations, so it's not the type of gun, but rather how it's setup and how you control it.

If I had to recommend a store bought gun, it would be the Rob Allen line. If money was no issue, the Timberline roller is what I'd get. Rob seems to work hard on providing quality components and making sure they shoot well.

I've had great success using RA shafts due to their stiffness and straightness. The only downside is they eventually rust, but I live with it.
Thanks what set up are you using? I have a rib Allen gun but the aim right is way better quality. And carbon. With an invert is loading the underside as difficult as loading the main roller?

I was going to suggest the 110cm Rob Allen roller for consideration. Yes, I too like carbon barrels, the Rob Allen roller might well be available with a carbon barrel.

There are some really nice Italian boutique wooden spearguns you could consider. Also Spanish ones, judging by videos of YouTuber Paul/ Pawel Pescasubmariner, in the Canaries.

My most recent purchases were from Apnea, Turkey. Because the price was keen and the specifications were, I felt, up to the minute. However, I already owned my 2 main "forever" spearguns for UK waters (Omer XXVs) - so the new guns were only to deal with exceptional conditions ( e.g
unusually good and bad visibility).

BTW There are other brands that offer railguns similar to RA. Not least Mako in USA and Rabitech and Orcas in South Africa.

Last edited:
Rob Allen 1100 roller or 1300 double rubber. My RA 1100 is 20years old. It didn’t have the legs for the GBR so I bought the 1300 which is a fantastic gun I have used from Mackay to top of cape York. Then I converted the 1100 to roller and the 1300 is now the spare. I still prefer the 1300 for long range shots but the smooth power of the 1100 roller is unbeatable and makes it more accurate in all other conditions and has excellent hitting power. Easy to convert your own guns to a standard roller setup.

Interesting, I too prefer a longer barrel for a longer shot, even when the shorter barrel could reach - but generally I'm just comparing 75cm and 90cm barrels :D

Thanks what set up are you using? I have a rib Allen gun but the aim right is way better quality. And carbon. With an invert is loading the underside as difficult as loading the main roller?
My setup is a bit Frankenstein. MVD handle with Ermes trigger mech, MVD invert muzzle, RA shaft (wire fin), and a carbon cuttled barrel. Harken pulleys. My gun is a little over 110 cm.

With an invert, for me loading the bottom bands is the same as loading the top band.

I think a classic roller would be a good choice. Comparing current guns, my personal opinion is Rob Allen's are better quality over Aimrites. Mako also seems like a solid choice in their Spartan Elite series. It has a carbon barrel and probably the best mech out there with great accuracy.

In the end, regardless of the brand, if it shoots well for you, that's all that matters. Hope you find something that works.

I also have the mvd roller rig. At the time they $100aud. Have gone up a lot since then.

..where i spearfish we have a saying :" its not the gun , its the man behind the gun.."

..where i spearfish we have a saying :" its not the gun , its the man behind the gun.."
Yep. Well I have multiple guns and some work far better than others. There are plenty of variables and they all catch fish. Just at some point it gets inefficient and I don’t like leaving injured fish in the water with shots that don’t penetrate or skim off.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT