• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Most beneficial apnea training out of water

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

thin_air

Alphabet
Sep 15, 2001
school has started again :rcard and life just got structured again....

anyways, this weekend is my last major race, and on monday i will be starting my new training schedual

basically i am working out 6 days a week... weights and running on all of those days, with different muscle groups being targeted on different days,
what i am wondering is what would be the best type of training to help my diving>?
i have about 30 minutes a day that i can do apnea training

right now i am doing apnea walking and apnea pushups/situps, walking i do about 1:15-1:30 and the pushups and situps i can do for about :55- 1:05

any help would be appreciated

thanks

Vincent
I've thought about this a little. For me it's too easy to go jump in the water (the best training is specific training) but, sometimes medical stuff interferes.
First, basics. Warmup. 8 reps (at anything) works well. Simulate conditions the best you can. Think about safety.
Since I ride a bike almost ten megameters per annum (maybe as much as you) and some of the muscle groups are used in both sports, that seemed to be a given. On the road apnea is 'asking for it' so, a trainer of some sort, standing, in enough gear to maintain minimum aerobic heart rate at 60-70 RPM and we'll simulate a thirty meter dive.
Find a very good spotter and start with 50% efforts or less until you get a feel for it. Sit quietly at zero RPM but warmed up, 2 minute rest, 3 minute deep, slow ventilation, one purge and one pack, for sequencing only. Start the clock, stand up, accelerate to 70 RPM, maintain until 20 seconds, sit down and allow the pedals to stop, at 30 seconds, do it again and at one minute, take two hook breaths.
I did something like this and it wasn't fun. I never stuck with it to see if it did any good. Just take it as info and my best guess for dry, constant balance training.
Aloha
Bill

I found some good training exersizes on www.freedive.nu
It's a swedish site that has some good training tips.

One that I found useful was to go to the top of a set of stairs (preferrably in a high building). Walk down, turn around and walk up again while holding your breath.

That way one can challenge oneself by setting records and having the mindset of going down and then returning to the "surface"

Thanks Bill Strömberg for the tips.

Vincent-

It's great that you're so eager to train and get better, but let me put a word in for a different perspective. You're 16, right? I know you want to get better, but you can actually hurt your performance by overtraining. I don't know what you're other training is for, but i'm assuming it's cross country or something similar. That alone is going to help you're cardio. It is okay to take a break from other 'training'. In fact it's often beneficial. That way your body and mind get some diversity and you'll mentally and physically be fresh when you get back to it.

As a former high school coach I wouldn't promote working out six days a week. Recovery time can be just as important as workouts. I ran track in college and had a similar drive and desire and did overtrain. I know at times that it actually hurt my performance in the end. Plus you're still growing, so not only is your body recovering from workouts but it's also using energy to grow and develop.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

superc0ntra I have been looking over the swedish site, but couldn't find where you got the trainning information from. I am obviously looking in the wrong place could you please be more specific on where you got the information from.

Bam bam,

not to speak for supercontra, but just go to "sponsers", click on the picture of Bill Stromberg, and then scroll down to "Bills training tip" and click on it. ;)

Tyler

Originally posted by bam bam
superc0ntra I have been looking over the swedish site, but couldn't find where you got the trainning information from. I am obviously looking in the wrong place could you please be more specific on where you got the information from.

On the swedish version it's:

Click on 'sponsorer' and then on Bills Picture
At the bottom of the page you'll find a link to 'Bill's träningstips'
I had a hard time finding it myself.

thanks for all the replies,

M-2, overtraining is a very real possibility for me (almost happened before, saved by a hurt knee....:duh ) i designed my schedual as to give every muscle time to recover, running every day is simply replacing my usual morning rides(i do them at the same heartrate)with alternating short(25-35min) and long(45-60 min) runs, and the weights are alternating upper and lower body workouts...

thanks for the Bill Stromberg training link, it has some nice info,

ps. i train for cross country mountainbike racing (got 6th at provincials last weekend...:D )

Vincent...overtraining doesnt just affect your muscles, you need to watch out for mental overtraining as well. How many promising young atheletes push themselves to burnout by never givng themselves a break? All athletes need time off...its almost like a job where you accumulate vacation days, after a big comp or at the end of the season take a week off totally(or more if you can!) you have a long way to go in your competitive life, hopefully, so take care of yourself and I have no doubt that with your focus and motivation we will see great things from you! :king

Reactions: Erik
thanks rigdvr, i hadnt thought about the mental side of training 6x a week

i think i might take a wednesday off every other week....(would that be enough... i need to keep my routine otherwise it gets sloppy, and it all goes down the drain...)

as for my apnea training i am doing a mixture of apnea walking and stairs... i walk for 30sec. and the go up and down the stairs as many times as possible

thanks for all the imput

At 16 I was training 11 times a week in the pool for 1.5 to 2 hour sessions , 2 sessions Mon - Friday and Sat Morning for a beast session. I was clocking up 50-60km a week in the pool. If you train carefully, eat right, watch your weight ( sudden weight loss is a sign of overtraining) and have a coach that knows your signs of overtraining, then go for it. You cant get to the top by going easy. But be smart about your training , as you sound like you are. :)

You'd rather be found without underwear?

I wonder how Thin Air is doing these days. Won't be a "teenage male subject" any more, that's for sure.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT