• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Motor-assist/tiny watercraft - for spearos?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
Forum member Matt in Devon once opted for a jetski over a kayak for spearfishing. There are now lots of novel alternatives becoming available, usually with small, powerful, electric motors and batteries. I wonder if some might prove useful to spearos? Like the Kymera for example (the 2nd gizmo featured - like a speed float/boogie board!):

Anybody already using novel electric craft, motors or floats to get around?

Anybody already using novel electric craft, motors or floats to get around?

I considered something like that. From underwater scooter to electric jet ski and RIBs . Electric power sounds cool but there is a few problems with it. Range (power density basically) which is half of what could be for the same weight. That is one problem. Battery juice isn't something that can be correctly measured, not like level in gas tank. So, situational awareness is compromised right there. And lack of backup options. Riding one of these tropical toys, I am guaranteed to get in trouble. Here in British Columbia water is cold and hypothermia is a real safety concern, along with strong currents, and isolation. And one more thing. These toys are not small. I would still need a trailer. And if I put up with all the trouble towing something, it better be a real boat then.

Reactions: Mr. X
I agree with the above,having a back up option is essential and a golden rule of sea fairing ,I have a back up motor and oars on my mainstream boat. The other problem with batteries is they discharge quicker in cooler weather. There are some adaptations you can make to a Sea Kayak however of which some can be found on Youtube (Electric outboard adaptations,Sails,outriggers etc) I have a Stainless steel foot operated rudder on my 16ft Sea Kayak which means i do not have to correct the Kayak's position with the paddle alone meaning i am saving energy getting to and from a destination which reserves my energy levels. I also use a Kayak sail which is designed in the same way as a pop up tent so it opens up to a lot bigger size from what it is stored. I have been thinking about getting and outrigger for more stability but yeah it has to be drilled into your mind that you not only have to get out there safely but you have to get back safely. If i typed out the list of items i take out each time in my Sea Kayak ( which i am willing to do if you want me to) it would be a long list but every item is a back up option to different situations.

A reserve battery sounds prudent. Perhaps even a second motor.

Since posting this, I saw a video of US big game spearo Cameron Kirkconnell going spearing in Florida with a buddy on a pair of jetskis.

Also saw another of a US spearo (Ryan Meyr?) winning a US kayak spearfishing competition. Unlike other competitors, he used a pedal powered kayak and felt that gave him an advantage, allowing him to keep going longer. Not sure if the yak was sponsored but interesting, I wonder how they compared to regular paddled kayaks.

Last edited:
I once saw two very macho spearfishermen sail out of the harbour holding a motor-bouy. It looked like a normal hard float, but with a long exhaust pipe on top and it sounded like a juvenile fishingboat. I almost died laughing.

Please don't go that way.

Just looked at a pedal power Kayak they look ok for calm waters and a warm day as you might get cool once sitting on it when you have been in the water and your wetsuit is wet I would still take a back up paddle with you though. The one i looked at was the Malibu Pedal Kayak which has a rudder but the guy that was out on it wasn't wearing a Buoyancy aid lol. If you just want a water craft for going out on calm days and not too far out to sea then it would be ok but as soon as the waves pick up you might get that sinking feeling. Compared to a paddle Kayak well there are many to choose from some are very heavy and even a bog standard plastic Kayak is at least twice the weight of a fibreglass Kayak . Fibreglass Kayaks are easier to repair wether they get holed or scratched. Then you have Kayaks with different shaped hulls which work better in certain conditions, mine has a V shaped hull which are meant to be difficult to maneuver but because it has a rudder it makes it a fast and easy to maneuver. A flat hulled light weight wide beam kayak is probably an option for you possibly with a rudder. http://www.outwardon.com/article/4-basic-types-of-kayak-hulls/ Jetski's are ok until something mechanical goes wrong as you can't paddle them back home. Here is a video of someone stating the pros and cons Paddle V Pedal Kayak.

Last edited:
Yes, I have an Ocean Kayak Malibu 2, 2+ seater SOT kayak gathering dust in my shed :(. It was a lot of fun but quite big and heavy to haul around, esp.without assistance. It was ok to paddle alone or with 1 or 2 others though. Last year we just hired one at the beach, rather than cart all the gear on holiday with us.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT