• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mount vs. Eat

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Clarification

I'm referring to replica mounts which are very popular in the sport fishing world...:duh

I wish I was in a position to have to make that choice!

Some charter operators will buy big game fish like Marlin off you in order to display it in their store. But to do it yourself would be a bit expensive.

A 200kg Marlin is a lot of meat so I would get the head mounted and distribute the meat to friends and family (and charity if there is a lot of it).

I think you'll fid that most freedivers are more likely to take a snap of the fish and then tell the story of its capture around the BBQ.

Originally posted by entropy
Does anyone mount their trophy fish?

Now there's a mental picture that's gonna take a while to disappear ...:D
Thanks for the clarification . As SK said , I think most of us are satisfied with a photo for evidence ; fishing stories being what they are ...;)
I flogged my small marlin to a fishmonger in Johannesburg and he decided to make a cast of it . Everytime I go to Joburg I try to stop and stare .

Mount vs Eat?

Well it depends on your bugget.If you are a rich man and doing spearfishing for sport and satisfaction you can mount it,but if there are lots of people in the home waiting for a fresh fish meat while you are hunting and you are not a rich man, its not very possible to mount it.

Imagine it!!! You hunted a giant Bluefin or Majestic Marlin as big as you room wall.Then you mounted it on the top of the your freediving gear with photos and the stories even with the local newspaper that telling about your catch.What a portrait.:p :p :p :p

We have something even better here. Thee is a local artist that you can call on your way back to the marina and he will meet you there. He "paints" the fish and makes a beautiful print out of it. Very similar to the ones they do in hawaii. Not only are they great looking peices of art that no wife will object to hanging but you get to eat your catch as well!

the Sultanny way...

personally, I eat then mount. Going in reverse is, well :yack

sven:king

sorry, but i couldnt resist

"Mount vs Eat" the auzzi sheepfarmer's dilemma

Dog, Ivan, the karma button is bottem right:D

Rig, that painting idea sounds good, and then when you want to put it up on the wall, it easier to...mount

Mark

Re: the Sultanny way...

Originally posted by icarus pacific
personally, I eat then mount. Going in reverse is, well :yack

sven:king

Unless you have to eat to give satisfaction after the mounting is over. :D

Uhmm because fish is so good for you... :eek: :D

*runs*

*runs back*

btw Rigdiver your wife must be a pretty harsh art critic not too like a 250kg Marlin hanging in the kitchen.. ;)

*trundles off*

"Mount vs Eat" the auzzi sheepfarmer's dilemma

lol... you have to come up for air sometime Griff... We will be there waiting to help bring you into the boat when you do...

*visualises a griff size gaff*

hehehe:D

mexican foto mount

boy is this a punsville thread or what?

.................................................................................
Long before the Internet
I walk into this cheap electronics store in La Paz, Baja, Mexico
to change Dollars into Pesos

On the wall right behind the cash register
there is a speargun.

So I ask the guy - does he sell spearguns?

'No I hunt underwater'
- 'allright!'

Soon as he realizes I am interested
he begins to whip out trophy fotos:
'look at this, check this one out -
and this is my biggest one'
(- a grouper, about 35 lbs)
'yeah, hey - very nice fish!'

he asks: 'do you spearfish, too?'
'yes'
'what's the biggest fish you ever got?'
'Well - this was years ago,
you won't believe me'
'tell me!'
I told him about the 200-plus Kilo grouper.
he didn't believe me.

next time I brought a copy of the foto
that's now on my website.
He goes:'Wow - a friend of mine has a fotoshop
right around the corner - can I have him make a copy?'
'sure'.
He had it done and gave me back the original print.

I sailed off.

Half a year later I returned to La Paz.

First thing I saw before I entered the store to change
money
was a blow-up
of my grouper foto -
- right in the shopwindow.
with a dedication:
'To my good friend and spearhunting buddy Angel!
- tu amigo Peter'

- which he'd written himself...

Most mounted fish are NOT the real fish they caught but "trophy mounts'. Essentially you give a picture and dimensions of your fish to the taxidermist and they make a mount out of plastic and paint it. It is still pretty expensive and it is not the actual fish. You can only mount small fish (like trout) but which self-respecting spearo would want to do that? . So I guess my answer to the question "Mount vs eat" is "Mount AND eat".

getting the wrong bill

have any of you guys got a billfish bill, like a marlin or a saily after catching one off a fishing charter? chances are its from a different fish. they whip out a ready made one and say, "ere iz ze bill for zer feesh" (its a mauritian charter) but its actually someone elses fish and your bill will be passed onto the next tourist a few weeks later.
the treatment of the bill involves leavign it on the roof for a few weeks, then polishing etc. so if you want the bill from your fish you need an extra long trip.
Mark

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT