• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Moving and Storing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

bjulie

Jul 8, 2020
Hi all! Julie here.
I'm currently moving and I've got to take care of my equipment as well. They each have their own bags of course, the fins, the suit, and all. But it's a hassle to move them all one by one. My boyfriend suggests I store them all together in a sort of bag, like a portable car cover like thing, and just move them around like that. A friend suggests I keep them in a box and they should be fine.
Any advice?

I guess only the suit can damage from improper storage, with creases forming on folds. Rolling it up helps some, but for long term storage creases will still form. Depending on the neoprene used in your suit creases might just bounce back.

The rest of the stuff is all just solid rubber, silicone, glass and plastic/epoxiedFiber. Not much to worry there unless you'd put your weights on top of carbon fins of course.

On my travel days all my stuff lives in my backpack, the suit rolled up and the rest stuffed in next to it, the weights on the bottom. No problem so far.

When I worked as a mover we used special boxes for clothes, in which they could hang on hangers like they do in the garderobe. That you could do as well. The rest of the gear can go in the bottom of the box.

• Love
Reactions: Mr. X and bjulie
I guess only the suit can damage from improper storage, with creases forming on folds. Rolling it up helps some, but for long term storage creases will still form. Depending on the neoprene used in your suit creases might just bounce back.

The rest of the stuff is all just solid rubber, silicone, glass and plastic/epoxiedFiber. Not much to worry there unless you'd put your weights on top of carbon fins of course.

On my travel days all my stuff lives in my backpack, the suit rolled up and the rest stuffed in next to it, the weights on the bottom. No problem so far.

When I worked as a mover we used special boxes for clothes, in which they could hang on hangers like they do in the garderobe. That you could do as well. The rest of the gear can go in the bottom of the box.
Thank you! Truly appreciate the help!

When I worked as a mover we used special boxes for clothes, in which they could hang on hangers like they do in the garderobe.
garderobebox_0.jpg

This is the kind of box we used for clothes. All other soft stuff like pillows went in the bottom of the box. You can get these at your local movers or possibly even at the bigger hardware stores. I guess for delicate stuff like a wetsuit it would work better than stuffing it in a bag. I stuff it in a bag mostly because I have no other options where and the way I live.

Reactions: bjulie and Mr. X
The above clothes boxes are what we used when we last did a long distance move.I would have thought regular large packing boxes could work too.

If you want a dive bag suitable for dive trips, Florida Freedivers have a few interesting YouTube videos on the dive bags they sell. I was quite surprised by how much some backpack-style bags can carry.

For spearing trips, I usually take the hardware in a large plastic box, speargun(s) in a rod bag (plastic sport tubes and ski bags are common alternatives) and wetsuit in an IKEA bag.

Rob Allen offer a range of tough but trendy bags for spearos. Most dive companies offer dive bags, e.g. Beuchat & Mares. Then there are the big North Face duffels. Or ex-army kit bags for the budget conscious (German kit bags are about twice the size of British ones ;)).

Reactions: bjulie
Ex-army stuff is a good one. But camo-stuff might not be the best idea depending on where you go, especially when combined with gun bags. I imagine traveling for example the Balkans with that will lead to some unwanted questionings.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT