• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mozambique regulations

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

SASpearo

Desk Driver
Dec 6, 2001
Hi all,

Has anyone got any clue on the official Spearfishing regulations for Mozambique? You hear so many conflicting reports about what may and may not be taken etc etc etc - not to mention all the pictures of the bottom fish (which most reports say aren't allowed to be shot) on the net ....

I lived and spearfished off Maputo from 1988 to 1994. As far as I know, the only regulation (not sure if its a law) is that scuba gear is not allowed while spearfishing. An unofficial agreement between us local divers at the time also outlawed spearing jewfish, potato bass was OK though. Anything else was fair game. I never had the authorities fuss about any fish I had, and mind you that our boat was frequently checked for paperwork at the Clube Naval in Maputo. Don't know if things have changes since. Good luck. By the way, where are you going there?

Hawgdawg

I'll be in the Inhaca area, and I'm also trying to get a trip together for the Lazarus banks ....

SASpearo,

Last I went to Moz, (Dec02) I was advised by the regular visitors that a speargun would be confiscated at the border and that under no circumstances should I take one!
When there, you didn't see guns blatantly on show but a lot of guys had them although I didn't see anyone going out??

Be good to find out.
:naughty

Lemme put a little perspective on this ...

I run a safari company, and we do regular trips to Moz. We do scuba and spearfishing trips in particular.

I've never had (too much) hassles about taking guns into or out of Moz. I never hide them in my vehicle either - sometimes they're even stuck on the roof.

We also pay for a spearfishing licence (half a million meticais) but there's no regulations or rules or laws printed on it. I was just wondering if anyone knows of any hard rules.

Nah,

I get it at the lodge that we stay at. They are apparantly the ones held responsible for everyone spearfishing in their area or from their base. THEY are the ones that gets fined if YOU break a law ... or so I'm led to believe.

You can also get a permit at police stations - if they understand what you're on about. Speaking english doesn't help, and switching to my bad portuguese normally ends up with me on the street. They have also never been able to supply me with info.

Just tried calling the Consulate over here (London) there seems to be a bit of confusion....... Will try again later.:confused:

He he he ... now you're in for it.

Neither the consulate nor the embasy could even supply me with road regulations for Moz. You have to have an inverted triangle on the front of your vehicle if you're towing a trailer in Moz - ask any traffic official in Moz that, they'll be quick to explain and give you a 1 million metica fine. Grin.

Hey guys I know this is not a regulation but it is Mozambique we are talking about. i have been trying to find out the best time to spearfish over there. tying to set up a trip to go when the weather is good.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT