• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Murat makes 191 meter in dynamic

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jesper Juul

Dec 26, 2001
Here is an interesting link:

http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,4061535%5E13780,00.html

Sebastien Murat has made 191m in dynamic apnea.

Congratulations with the new world record. It is amazing that such a distance is possible!!!

I don't know if the record attempt is recognized by AIDA, but I think that it is the record itself that counts, and not the organization that recognizes it.

Well done Sebastian!

Best regards
Jesper Juul Pedersen
Copenhagen Denmark

Bravo

Bravo bravo, on the lève notre chapeau (bravo, bravo, we raise our hat)

Well, i guess monofin are the way to go now.

Congratulations Seb !
191m is excellent, beaten Herb's record by 10m.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Finally an Australian who can give the Europeans and Canadians a run for their money.

Reactions: Erik
This was an outstanding performance, but Sebastian admits that he had a small loss of muscle control, and is still sure that he can do 200 metres sometime. He also said that there were no sanctioning bodies there. But more power to him, I say, he's helping promote the sport, especially in Australia, where I've heard that it is frowned upon....? Correct me if I'm wrong Walrus.
I think it was actually 192.5 metres, I lost the email from the AIDA group.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Re: Bravo

Well, i guess monofin are the way to go now. [/B]

Just try one for one day! It takes a while, but you may fall in love.:inlove
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Murat's technique

From the emails I've received from Sebastian and the stuff I've heard from Eric Fattah, Murat is quite the technician when it comes to the monofin. Someone after my own heart...:t

He made his own super-soft monofin, developed a modified technique where his arms are by his sides (and yet he says he can still pull off 16 second sprints over 50 meters!), and a rigorous workout program (at one time over six hours a day--but not just for dynamic).

From what I know of his background (track & field, boxing) he sounds like he's an exceptional athlete (well over 7min statics), and a 16 second sprint for someone who hasn't done finswimming has got to be world class.

Of particular interest to me is the stroke length per 50m. On his email he said it was 12 strokes per 50m (I'll double check that). Sounds like big amplitude undulations, but he somehow changes his body profile to reduce the drag that that normally produces.

I don't think we've heard the last from Monsieur Murat.

Hopefully he'll show up on DeeperBlue at some point.

Pete

Sheesh, just when I thought I was starting to figure it out!
Cheers Pete,
Erik

Yep 192.5m.
Interesting about the soft fin & modified technique.
Pete, Sebastian's statics are just over 8 min's !

Erik, I don't know if Apnea comps are frowned upon as such. Spearing comp's are quite big and some of the spearo's have competed in wolrd cup apnea before. There are a few people that are interested in "apnea", but perhaps not enough, or it is too difficult to start competitions/ governing bodies from a legal standpoint.

I imagine it's not an easy thing to start up, trying to explain to sporting bodies/medical staff, that the object is to dive as deep, or hold your breath for as long as possible without blacking out ?!
If anyone frowns upon it I would say it would be the medical people that don't know much about the sport. (Bit like doctors view on Boxing I guess ?)

RE:Monofin's
I've joined a finswimming club and been using a monofin for the past 6 weeks. I'm only just getting past the "complete spastic" phase. My biggest problem was I kept my back too straight, and now I've overcome that, I'm now trying to get the movement/ rythm right.
I thought I'd do it for training, but it is actually heaps of fun, so much faster compared to even good carbon fins !

Cheers,
Walter

For having met Sebastien Murat in the Sardinia World Cup in 98, I can tell you he is very strong.

He's athlete's background helped him a lot for his achievments, but the his most amazing side is the way he is thinking about every technical details and the solutions he finds.

In Sardinia he was unlucky, but he was, on my opinion, ahead of everybody there.

He realy is pasionate about the activity, and the competition is not his ultimate goal.

Hope to meet him again.

Fred.

hi,

i have heard about him on a austalian finswimming website a few weeks ago.
i ve found seb murat website with a good movie !
www.amphibios.info

Attachments

• s25_seb.jpg
    s25_seb.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 301
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT