• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mushroom question

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Yes I have collected chicken of the woods, it is believed to be toxic to a few but I was OK.
They can be huge & certainly impressive to look at however I felt a little uncertain about feeding it to my friends as some books say it must be cooked very well or it can cause nausea.
I saw loads of then in a park in Southampton a few weeks back.

any vivid colors from any of that fungi? when i was in my 20's,we used to go shroom hunting. ours grow on cow patties in north florida. LOL

nah think chicken of the woods just tastes sort of chickeny, probs could achieve similar effects if u washed it down with enough wine though.

Found a lovely summer Boletus today pretty solid one too...that is a 12" plate.
msh.jpg

It makes me REALLY nervous to hear people talking in uncertain terms about fungus.
Far too easy to get very ill.

If there's any doubt whatsoever about the precise species... don't eat it.

It's far too easy to get very ill.

Do you speak from experience?

I have a similar fear of newbie spearos with guns!

Of course you are right but I think this thread is quite well balanced with warnings, stories & happy hunting too.

I speak from some experience - never got ill but have picked what I thought to be good eating only to get it home and have the spore print come out all wrong... bin!
I did identify the field mushrooms in my garden as yellow stainers BEFORE I got around to eating them too. Wouldn't have been lethal I'm sure, but a day on the bog wouldn't appeal.
Have known some fairly knowledgeable types let their guard down and get ill too.

Didn't mean to come across as sounding like a wet blanket though... sorry about that.

I know a lot of folk go weak at the knees with fear when you mention anything beyond buying food pre-packed in a supermarket and I don't want to add to their number. Eat away - just be sure. :)

Can understand the fear of newbies with weapons. I tend to maintain a healthy wariness of anyone with guns/bows and the like. Even experienced people make mistakes sometimes. I'm an archer and so have safety stuff drilled deep into my subconscious and even then I take a lot of care. Don't anticipate any accidents, but I'll still be making damn sure I never point a spear at someone (or myself for that matter).

Anyway - I'll shut up about safety stuff now - mushrooms!

Had a good look around here. Not ID'd anything as edible yet, and not from lack of trying. I found a few of the ol' Liberty Caps, but I'm not putting them on my bacon butties. Plenty of razor strop on the birches... and maybe some Jews Ear (never went back to see it mature, was only just showing when I found it). Not managed to find any chicken in there either which amazes me. I know people get them - but so far I've yet to stumble across a patch worth finding.

Field mushrooms are not the safest mushroom to target due to the fact that there are similar mushrooms that can be nasty - yellow stainer's are one but I know several people who eat them quite happily & have done so for years!!
It would appear that the toxins are not toxic to every one but, I would never even consider trying this out myself.
I just stick to a few easy to identify, guaranteed safe, ones.

Ironically I was poisoned in a Portuguese restaurant once!
I was about 20 years old & staying in the Agave for a two week holiday with my GF. We went out for an evening meal were I ate a chicken dish with a wild mushroom sauce. 6 hours later I became violently ill, so ill we had to call a doctor who told us several other people had been taken ill & it was suspected salmonella so I would have to go to hospital!!
Anyhow after two days in hospital I was informed I had eaten some poisonous mushroom (dont know what type is was though)

I've heard similar about the stainers too, and like you, came to that very conclusion. Not even gonna try.
That restaurant incident sounds nasty.

I read something about whatshisname... Gordon Hillman maybe? Someone known to Ray Mears anyway... who really knows his mushrooms. Fed himself and family (?) and realised he'd got it wrong when he felt his lips starting to tingle. Hotfoot off to the hospital for help. Was quite ill for a while I believe.

Makes me wary of trusting a picker and chef I don't know to have the right "wild mushrooms" in a restaurant. :p

Went for a stroll around my local golf course to see if I could find a parasol or 2 and a cheeky puffball. There were literally hundreds of parasols everywhere, i've never seen anything like it, there was a week of heavy rain then a couple of days of sun which may explain it. Had a very trasty parasol and chicken pie for dinner last night, and used up my remaining chanterelles. Might go back tomorrow and get a few drumsticks for stuffing or doing in tempura with sweet chilli dipping sauce :)

Attachments

• parasols.jpg
    parasols.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 245
I have found five puffballs so far but they were all about 4-6 weeks back.

I like to stuff the drumsticks with grated strong cheddar, garlic puree & chopped up pieces of chicken breast (pre cooked) sort of reconstructed chicken kiev!

Also - parasols are great for making soup, just fry them up with garlic, dried mixed herbs & chopped chilli. (Dont add any liquid)
Once cooked, put the ingredients in the blender & add a touch of creme fraiche, serve with some garlic croutons & a few tarragon leaves.

Aquatic mushrooms - there are fungi that live in deep sea, I read about them somewhere, hadn't known about them before, wouldn't expect them to be edible but not sure. Anybody know? I think they're ascomycetes(?)

I just want to ask if some of you has heard this kind of shroom called Psilocybe Caerulipes also know as Blue-Foot? I was reading some articles about this kind shrooms before engaging my self for the first time. Like this one from:https://www.trufflemagic.com/blog/psilocybe-caerulipes/ .They say that it has a very potent effect on the brain and hallucination. Unlike other shrooms this one is less intense. In one article that I've read Psilocybe Caerulipes influences the prefontral cortex thats responsible for for differentiating thoughts, consequences of actions, and social control. Magic mushroom are use on reducing the symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder and anxiety. It can also help people to quit smoking and alcohol addiction. Some studies also suggest the property of magic shrooms/truffles can be useful for cancer patients. I would really want to hear other insights regarding this kind shroom and could possible be used as an alternative medicine Thanks

I just want to ask if some of you has heard this kind of shroom called Psilocybe Caerulipes also know as Blue-Foot? I was reading some articles about this kind shrooms before engaging my self for the first time. Like this one from:https://www.trufflemagic.com/blog/psilocybe-caerulipes/ .They say that it has a very potent effect on the brain and hallucination. Unlike other shrooms this one is less intense. In one article that I've read Psilocybe Caerulipes influences the prefontral cortex thats responsible for for differentiating thoughts, consequences of actions, and social control. Magic mushroom are use on reducing the symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder and anxiety. It can also help people to quit smoking and alcohol addiction. Some studies also suggest the property of magic shrooms/truffles can be useful for cancer patients. I would really want to hear other insights regarding this kind shroom and could possible be used as an alternative medicine Thanks

This thread is seven years old and the people who contributed are in Europe.
While there are a few varieties of psilocybe in Europe, that isn't one of them.

I cant say I've come across this before, it falls appearance wise in to the "miscalaneous-brown-jobbet" category.......genra "you-no-e-tum"
so I naturally ignore anything like this as there are so many similar looking Fungi

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT