• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mussel season UK

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
O

omega3

Well now tomorrow me and a few pals are off to go fishin /spearin harvesting etc.

One of the things my pal says is he knows of a great place to get mussels.

I am aware not to get ones from concrete or steel and then I was wondering if there was a season in the Uk for them . If I remember right don`t harvest anything in a month with no R and red tide etc. but when I heard this was many years ago in Canada and I can`t quite remember.

I had a bit of a look on the net and ended up even more confused. Can anyone say with relative certainty wether or not it will be OK to harvest some mussels in Scotland at this time of year?????

Thanks
Jim

I've heard the "dont eat shellfish when there isn't an R in the month" saying, but I've eaten mussels harvested at all times of the year in cornwall, no problems.
Food poisoning is more common when the water is warmer, so there shouldn't be a problem in Scotland:) Obviously if you get ill its not my fault:) , but in your position I would eat them (In fact I may even go an get myself some mussels this weekend, its ages since I had any)
That said, if you find an area with particularly big mussels, it is always worth checking there are no outfalls nearby!
cheers
dave
www.spearo.co.uk

Howdy Dave

That said mussels will now be on the menu(disclaimer noted lol)....great, steamed in wine and herbs I love em!

Cheers
Jim

Jim,

I have no idea what the 'official' line is, but I eat mussels that I collect here in Scotland throughout the year so go for out (avoiding the outflow areas obviously)!!!

Laters
Dan
Glasgow

I've never found mussels bigger than an almond on my dives. Must be looking in the wrong places.

What's wrong with picking them off concrete or steel? (unless they're obviously commercial guys poles).

Any suggestions for mussel hotspots gratefully received:inlove

Jez said:
I've never found mussels bigger than an almond on my dives. Must be looking in the wrong places.

What's wrong with picking them off concrete or steel? (unless they're obviously commercial guys poles).

teignmoth estury at low tide they are all on the rocks:)

Jez said:

I know a spot in South Wales that once had huge amounts of big mussels. When I returned there years later there were still lots of muscles but all small, the size of an almond as you said. Not sure what happened though -- perhaps just early in the yearly growth cycle, perhaps a victim of pollution (which I think has been reduced since that time), perhaps harvested or diseased? Would love to know.

[I am also wondering about the concrete & steel comment too. Omega3, care to explain?]

Well, the spot I saw the tiny mussels at was also somewhat infested with starfish, which I think eat mussels. Seems odd though that there didn't seem to be a balance, too many starfish, not enough mussels to sustain them??

Well had a great few days diving up North in exceptional viz.
Got to the mussel site to find that they were all gone , removed from the plastic pontoons . This was a great shame as they were to be the main attraction. So promptly booked dinner at the local restaurant.LOL

Fortunately on the last day I had success and found some in a cave (as well as lobster, crab and squat lobster but not in the cave.)

To answer the queries about mussels on concrete/steel.

I have always had the understanding to never eat these mussels as being the filter feeders that they are they are, are subject to becoming toxic with the breakdown of steel and concrete as well as these structures often having fouling inhibitors in their coatings, as well as other unknowns in their makeup that can also be a problem during their breakdown. So rocks, plastic, rope and fibreglass plus I am sure many others have proven to be fine so why risk it.

Thanks for the replys
I have tried to attach a few pics of the mussel trip
PS... I thought mussels thrown straight on the BBQ were lovely. And bbq lobster is mmmmmmmmmm.
the second pic I liked as its the only time my pal has looked elegant in his life hahaha(lucky photo)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mr. X
you can wrap mussells garlic and parsley etc in newspaper. soak it in the sea or river and smack it on the BBQ when the paper is charred dry they are done.
Works well with Bass too real ray mears stuff but no whittling!!

Great picture Omega3 -- love the Sevylor (sp?) yak; even has a dive flag built printed on it! Looks like you're ready for action.

re. contaminants. An interesting angle I had not thought about was reported in the USA: there was some fear that scrap steel from nuclear reactors, biomedical centres, etc. is finding its way back into new steel via normal recycling. I think they mentioned Mexico (whatever happened to "Blame Canada"?!).

Good one Doc. Big Ray Mears fan myself. The boy scouts used to recommend cabbage leafs for a similar purpose. Presumably the newspaper used would be that copy of the Telegraph that goes with your white carnation?! The Telegraph: the premier newspaper for parrot owners (perfect fit for the cage apparently). Good for drying wellies near the back door too.;)

Hi Omega3,
How are you getting on with the DiveYak? I've been after a small inflatable to dive from with the possibility of adding a motor, and the XK2020 seems ideal. Can't find anyone in the UK who stocks them, but there is an American shop on Ebay that ships to the UK.....how does it cope when there are two people onboard? Any comments would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Ed

@ Doc....great idea. Will definately try that one
@ Mr X .... yeah thanks to all the nuclear testing background radiation is increased in everything I believe. A few years ago there was a market for steel/iron off sunken vessels pre nuclear testing for surgical instruments as it has normal/lower background radiation.
@ Ekafix....I like the Yak . The US distributor charges £200 for shipping !!!!!. I will get back to you with the UK distributor who supplies it with transom as well. It needs a motor and is very stable . With one in it it will just plane with the 2.5HP 4 stroke . with me(95kg) and a 95 kg buddy and 2 sets scuba gear it goes...........................................Slowrofl but what a laugh and has opened up loads of areas to me plus fits in the boot of the car.

hi guys,

theres a shop in UK that stocks them and sells through ebay I think

[ame="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brilliant-Dive-Yak-Two-Man-KAYAK-Sevylor-Quality_W0QQitemZ7249720454QQcategoryZ19303QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brilliant-Dive-Yak-Two-Man-KAYAK-Sevylor-Quality_W0QQitemZ7249720454QQcategoryZ19303QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem[/ame]

looks pretty similar. how small does it fold up?

cheers
Jim

Hi Jim - I’ve seen that model in a dive shop in North Wales. They pack down to a surprisingly small size, and would easily fit into the boot of a car. The only problem with that particular model is that you can’t fit an outboard to it, and apparently, they aren’t that easy to paddle…fine for calm weather, but a bit of a struggle if the wind gets up.

Omega 3 – It would be great if you could supply me the details of the UK distro for the XK2020. One final question…what is the transom build-quality like? Do you think it would cave-in if I stuck a 5HP on it? :D

Thanks very much,

Ed

@Jim ...it folds up to about 1m squared x 30 cm.

@Eckafix ..... the ebay dealer that stuckinsurry lists is the same guy "blue water diving" I believe they have a website . As to 5HP .....I have seen one like that on the web....I wouldn`t!

As for mussels on paint coatings... a fella I work with has just told me that they absorb the mercury that is in most anti-fouling paint. Another says he was working on a mussel farm and that they were grown on chains but he couldn`t identify the metal. This all came about as the contractor has asked us to place marine growth recorders about the instalation I am on at the moment. They have even sent a couple of scientists.......oooooooooooohhhhh. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pav
Distributer can be contacted on 01706876286. He is able to give you local dealers.

RRP is £599 for the Yak. £50 for the motor mount. Recomended 3.5HP.

Hope that helps someone. Would like to know the pros and CONS (enough to persuade me I don't want one rofl )

Reactions: Almostafish
Pav said:
...Would like to know the pros and CONS (enough to persuade me I don't want one rofl )
Nick Nack didn't want one -- worried that it would sink if punctured or leaking.;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT