• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Must be cold up there in Alaska

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

shaneshac

FIN TRASHER
Oct 8, 2002
Bloody hell!!!!!. And you can actually move with all that on???

How much weight do you wear ( to the nearest ton plz:D )

I am actally thinking of buying a separate hood to have double insulation on the head and neck which are the places where most of the body heat is lost.

I wear 30 pounds of lead; am neutrally bouyant at 3m. Funny you ask if I can move - feels like I'm a musclebound sumo wrestler until I get in the water. A small price to pay for the great local diving conditions. Lots of sea cucumber, crab, abalone, and the occasional seal, sea otter, or sea lion to keep things interesting.

I have always fancied a bit of really cold water diving myself but can't see the start of the thread on this one Guys

Anyway, have either of you seen these web pages about diving in Antartica. Cold?- well I was suitably impressed.

scilib.ucsd.edu/sio/nsf/gallery/index.html

Stuart, start of this discussion was a December 7 post in the "UK suit thickness" thread. In response to Shane's comment about trying a double hood: I recommend it. Not only the thicker insulation but the reduced water exchange makes for a much warmer dive. Downside is it can be a pain to get on and off, especially if you dive solo (as I often do).

Reactions: sjwhelan
That sounds like a very good idea. I'll give it a go this weekend.

I'd appreciate it if you could tell me any other useful tips for coldwater.

Cheers

:)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT