• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Must reading for beginners and those who dive solo

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

underh2ohio

Nov 7, 2001
I came across a link to a story that really opened my eyes to free diving solo. http://www.spineshot.com/swb.html

This is a real eyeopener when you consider how shallow the dives were and the fact that they did not seem to last for long periods of time. This is must reading for all beginners and all who dive alone. Luckily for the young man this story had a happy ending!

Any theories on how this could have happened?

Mike

Thanks very much for getting this story out. It really puts across the seeming ease at which SWB occurs. The kid's lucky.

As I read it, he pretty much answers your question as to the why's and how's.

And what's really nice is that he realizes it. I hope that as he gets older that he stays as wise.

Thanks.

sven

SWB

Thanks, Mike for posting!
It is always real eye-opener to read about SWB and we should all keep in mind the fact that when we are out there that these facts are really easy to forget! You float in the surface facing down to the deep blue and tell your self that you can do 100feet or what ever, try to overcome your fears....is it really worth it?? I am glad the kid survived:)

SWB

Very sobering story. I wonder if dehydration could have been a mitigating factor, also. He never discusses any fluid intake during the entire day. All those stresses certainly add up. Thanks for the link.
jim

SWB

Pretty un-nerving that the chap didn't even feel like he was pushing himself. Could this be a freak accident? Maybe there is something about having cold water suddenly hit your eyes when you are upside down. In all the stories of SWB that I had heard before the victim new that he was beyond his normal limit. Has anyone out there had a similar experience to this?

Guess I am going to have to find a dive buddy.

DWB

I'm betting on a deep water black out instead of shallow. He sounds not experienced enough to know if he may have had a SAMBA or even a slight SAMBA on one of his many dives that day. That would do the trick. Then he wouldn't feel it coming on. He would just go out, like he did.

Just a theory. At this point it's all theory.

DSV

theory? wha theory?

When I read the story, I felt very familiar with the rushed and harried schedule the diver had prior to the dive- the drive, the rear ending of his vehicle, the anticipation. I too noticed that he didn't mentione hydration and rest stops during his day. I did take note that he was moving around a lot and believe me, hauling the hook and moving a boat takes it out of you, physically and mentally. Then he's doing a lot of dives where he's hauling over the bottom and wedging into holes for bugs. That takes a great deal of effort and again is a mindfull of concentration, "There's one!, OK now if I go in there, can I get out and damn, look at that monkey face eel, right there too..." All this put together with the repetition of going up and down around a familiar area with familiar divers is a recipe for SWB.

The kid just got plain tired, dehydrated, and was sucking wind. Happened to me almost the same way- see my post on the SWB thread. All the more reason to take a good look at your methods and invincebility.

sven

DSV,

I think you are on the mark with the DWB. Ic. Pacific and others have great points about nourishment, AND the guy was down such a short time: CO2 is the simplest explanation to me. I am going to get Angus in here and see what he thinks (physiologist and psychologist as well as a killer freediver).

Warmly, Also
Give Brett L. my warm regards,

Aaron Parker

ps that is one cute kid sitting with you in that other thread! we know you can't be the daddy...unless his momma is DDG (drop dead gorgeous):D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT