• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Muzzle holes in Euro Guns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
fat free, maybe... but kick free? not a chance. :naughty

the 6.75mm riffe euro shafts w/ an 18mm band was a great setup for accuracy, but didn't have the punch at distance. i guess it depends on how short you make your bands and what sort of bands they are.

the master barrel(116) weighs pretty much the same as the rabitech aluminum barrel(110). :cool: i still haven't shot the 110 rabitech so i don't know if the former statement means diddly. :D

A

I was mainly thinking about the shape of your master acting as a slight muzzle stabilizer to reduce muzzle vertical kick.

Even with only 2 14mm smooth bands on my 120 Alluminum(open muzzle), it still has a degree of kick. I can only imagine how it'd be with 2 16's or 18's... I also seem to have an odd problem of shooting left with that gun... not sure why - the track & muzzle are lined up fine. :confused:

i'm with ya now, fuzz.

again, as i've posted in other threads... i think muzzle lift compensation and carbon for rigidity is WAY overrated. :t

muzzle lift can no doubt be dampened but the end of the barrel only has to come up mm's to affect a shot. i think the most important factor of going to an open muzzle is somehow getting those bands back up in parallel w/ the shaft.

as for the shooting left issue... make sure your bands aren't slipping through the muzzle holes when you're loading them. both parts of one band stretched to different potentials isn't really going to release your shaft perfectly straight. kinda like the horizontal version of "muzzle lift". both evil devils! :blackeye

it's difficult for me to say, but the closed muzzles w/ the screw in bands DO have some advantages. :duh

keep throwing out questions, you're helping me answer some of my own questions. :D

Anderson

Despite my love of open muzzles, I do see advantages to closed muzzles - maybe we should start a Pro/Con list for Open vs. Closed. It could be a nice informative piece for your website :D

As far as shooting left - I checked on the bands, but it never seemed to help. I've been racking my brains & only thing I came up with was since the shooting line goes left(to the line anchor in the muzzle), maybe it's rubbing against the bands or dragging that side of the shaft somehow. Of course even that's a long shot :head

Regarding the bands being parallel with the shaft - as long as I have a track, I don't see the bands being lower having any adverse effects. This is only my personal opinion, not based on any facts. What advantages would parallel bands on a (railed) gun have? I can think of minute power transference differences, but nothing substantial... :confused:

Originally posted by fuzz
Regarding the bands being parallel with the shaft - as long as I have a track, I don't see the bands being lower having any adverse effects. This is only my personal opinion, not based on any facts. What advantages would parallel bands on a (railed) gun have? I can think of minute power transference differences, but nothing substantial... :confused:

if your bands are below the shaft, they're coming back at an angle. the sum of your potential vectors will equal this vector. since your two cumulative vectors are in the x and y plane respectively, you'll always have a deficiency at countering the y potential... hence muzzle lift; track or no track. :cool:

A

Now I get ya ;)

Ya know, I never understood the big deal about parallel bands until just now :D

Wonder how much of a difference it really makes :confused:

Originally posted by fuzz
Wonder how much of a difference it really makes :confused:

If I could find a pool out here that would let me bring my spearguns into, I'd have answers for you this weekend. :D

A

I tested a few out in my pool here :D Don't think they like it very much. :( I think I'll try again since my lease is ending - after all since I'm paying ~$2000 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment, I should be allowed some "privliges" :naughty

Unfortunately I need 2 guns that are the same make to see the difference. Maybe I'll pick up another carbon beuchat since they're cheap just to test. Wonder if my parents would give me a scientific testing grant? :hmm

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT