• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

My beginners tables log.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Charlie92

Feb 8, 2018
Hi everyone, thought I'd start a thread to log my basic tables training both as a record to look back on and so people can point out my mistakes and maybe offer some advice.

I started on Wednesday using this guide I found, http://freediveuk.com/how-to-hold-y...-1month-freediving-training/#jp-carousel-4392 and using their training program
apnea-training-1-month-to-5-minutes.jpg

Wed 7th Feb
Definitely fell into the noob over training trap. Got 2 minutes when trying to get a baseline for how long I could hold my breath so started with a 1 minute hold c02 table decreasing the rest time by 15 seconds each time and starting at 2 minutes as i'd read you shouldn't do more than half your pb in a c02 table. This didn't feel very challenging so after a couple minutes rest I did a table with a 1.15 hold, then two minutes later a third table holding for 1.25. probably not my brightest idea as my chest still feels
a bit bruised two days later.

Friday 9th of Feb
Decided to be sensible and follow the program more closely by resting on Thursday and just doing 1 table with a 1.30 hold today. It's amazing how much easier the holds get after the first one even with the reduced resting time. Goes to show how much of it is in your head.

So, just to say this "training plan" is absolutely ridiculous. Unless you are a very high level athlete who's body is used to rigorous training, it will be almost impossible to complete the program as its written down. First off mixing CO2 or O2 tables and other physical conditioning on the same day is a horrible idea. 14 days straight of O2 tables is a horrible idea. 14 days straight of any tables combined with physical conditioning is a horrible Idea. The final week performing 2 O2 tables back to back is a horrible idea.

The reason all of that is a horrible Idea is because of both physical and mental over training. only a high level freediver, who is also a high level athlete (other sports) could (barely) maintain this work rate.

Also, physical conditioning will not (unless you are ridiculously out of shape) help with static apnea.

Fair enough, it was just something I found on Google so im not married to it. Can you recommend me a good alternative to try? I was a little bit sceptical of the exercise segments myself. Are there any standard rules of thumb for how to build up c02 and 02 tables? Thanks for your input btw

2 potential options;

If you are a relative beginner who isn't training for a competitive or used to apnea tables I would do 2-3 traditional CO2 tables/week.

The slow and steady approach would include a PB test once every 2 weeks (take 1 day off from tables and attempt a max breath hold) adjust your co2 table based on that (50% breathhold). If your PB attempts get worse take a week off to avoid over training.

A second approach could be to use a much higher intensity on the CO2 tables for 7 days straight. Start with 50% breath hold and add 5% everyday. This will be very hard but will give fast results. Take 7 days off (no breath holding) the start traditional O2 tables (every 2 or 3 days). The goal isn't to become super hypoxic on the O2 table (as a beginner) it is to learn to relax. On the first table work up to matching your PB. Then 5 seconds more every time. When this gets too hard to progress take 2-3 weeks off and start the cycle again with co2 training.

Ok thanks for the advice, I'll give the second option a shot and see how I get on.
Sat 10th of Feb
1 table at 1.40.
First time the last couple of holds have felt harder than the first one. On the last hold (i.e. after a 15 second rest) the contractions started about 40 seconds in and the last 20 secs were a real struggle. Contractions usually start around 1.10 atm.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT