• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

My family and other animals...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Adrian

Deeper Blue Beachcomber
Supporter
Nov 23, 2002
I almost stepped on this ladder snake tonight, a non-poisonous one at least! We are always talking about animals outside home in the sea, so lets shift the optics and see what others have been finding inside their homes! :cool:

I wanted to take a picture so I ran upstairs to change the camera's batteries and when I came back down it had disappeared. At the time I thought it was a viper, so you could imagine what I was thinking, especially wearing flipflops. :hmm

It had hidden itself under a nearby shelf and with a stick I herded it into a poster cylinder - it probably thought it was a safe dark tunnel where nobody would bother it - and took it outside to the fields.

Anybody read "My Family and other Animals" by Gerald Durrell?

If you love animals it's a beautiful and funny book.

Adrian

Reactions: DeepThought
eeeewwww!

i picked up my face cloth the other night and a big spider jumped off it. ugh.

also we went on a night dive and there were loads of those red worms squiggling around the lights... hung up my wetsuit in the shower and some crawled out... double eewww!

A good friend all mine gave to me a copy of
Durrell's book, when I was 17. Don't even remember the plot... my memory sucks :)
But remember having lots of laughs!

It was an account of his life in Corfu as a child and his experiences and fascination with animals. As you say, a really funny book!

Adrian

Durrel books have always been a charming company... and inspired a few stupid thinks have done around. Sadly the world is talking about has changed enough to cherish even more his experiences... or maybe was the magic of the his personality that creates the experience around himself?
Anyways, you shouldn't grow up with out let your imagination share Durrel adventures: is so much to learn from a men that knew how to find the way into the people dreams.

Last edited:
I read it when I was about 11 - to me it seemed like a dream come true, as I was always bringing strange creatures into the house and hoping everyone would like my new pets.....

Lucia

Reactions: DeepThought
Originally posted by Adrian
I almost stepped on this ladder snake tonight, a non-poisonous one at least!
Adrian

So did you ate it ? ? ?:p

Ahh just kidding but i heard snake has nice white meat:D

Why does everything taste like chicken? Seriously, everyone who has tried exotic meats says they taste like chicken!

Maybe they eat the same things that chickens do! :D The "exotics" I mean, not the people.

Adrian

Snake have a tasty and tender white flesh. Sometimes he can be a bit oily, but is better than most of the chicken you could dream of.

I didn't hunt or kill the snakes, but they where part of the Aches diet during a trip on the South American forests... They hunt what they eat, and is they right.

Don't do this at home! is no need for it... get a chicken instead, and if you feel like adventure and exotic: eat the feet... they have scales! :p :p

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT