• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

My first Freediving Experience

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DHodges34

Jun 26, 2003
I'm from Orlando, FL and the waves at the beach where I usually surf have been really small lately. That translates to clearer water than normal. Saturday we loaded up the longboards and, not expecting much in the way of surf, threw some masks, snorkels, and fins in the truck too. We headed to the south end of Patrick Air Force Base, just south of Cocoa Beach.

We arrived and the surf was dismal to say the least so we donned the snorkeling gear and paddled outside the surf where the water was clearer, and let me tell you, it was A LOT clearer. I've been surfing for about 8 years but am just getting into freediving so I'd never been outside the breakers before. I could not believe what a difference there was in the clarity of the water.

At first we were about 100 yards outside the breakers in about 12 feet of water and once you got deeper than about 3 feet it became very very clear. I would say visibility was about 20 to 25 feet. I know that's nothing compared to some other places but it was amazing for me, normally the water is so churned up you can barely see your feet while sitting on your board! After hanging around there for awhile and seeing what we could see we decided to paddle out even further, about 1/4 mile offshore. We were in search of some rock reef formations that start in the shallow water off the coast just south of Patrick Air Force Base and continue down to West Palm. We were in about 20 feet of water and the visibility was top to bottom, it was awesome. The water was much colder once you got about 5 feet below the surface, I was really shivering after a few minutes, and I'm usually very tolerant of cold water (cold for florida ;)).

We didn't really see any rock formations or anything like that, mostly sand bottom, but we saw our share of fish. Saw a few schools of mullet, a really cool wall of minhaden that you couldn't even see through, and various other fish just cruising along.

We saw a few big Sea Turtles, even got a glimpse of one underwater, but mostly just when they would pop their head up to see what we were. The coolest thing though, had to be this huge tarpon. It was rolling all over the place right under my friend, splashing around and whatnot. We actually thought it might be a shark at first. After the splashing stopped my buddy stuck his head underwater and there was half a fish floating about 2 feet below his board! That was definitely a cool experience. We saw the tarpon as it was swimming away, there was about 3 feet between its dorsal fin and its tail....HUGE!

The diving went pretty well, like I said I am just getting into freediving but I was satisfied for my first trip, I didn't want to push it. I had no problems equalizing and had a few decent dives of about a minute fifteen seconds. Next time I want to practice slowing down my breathing and really filling up my lungs the right way. I was just taking a few deep breaths and diving this weekend. I felt very comfortable and can't wait to get in some deeper water with something to actually look at! :D

I can't wait to get back out there, next time I think I'll see about renting a Kayak or something so we can go out further faster. Also would like to find some rock reef areas, maybe we'll try somewhere down near Vero Beach or even West Palm soon.

- Daniel

cool

Congrats on the good experience. One thing I didn't hear you mention is a dive flag, they are always a must but especialy when shore diving, and the law requires them. My best day of diving ever was from shore on one of the formations you mentioned that run down the east coast. It was my first day in the water with my new gun and I saw a wall of pilchards like you mentioned and i hung with them for about 20 minutes and then it happened I shot a 37 lbs king n 30 feet of water on my first pull of the trigger with my new gun it was dream come true. I felt like i was living one of the stories in blue water hunting. He even took me for a bit of a ride along the reef before I swam him back. Everytime I get into the water somethinng new and exiting happends but ill never forget that day at the beach.
keep us updated on how it goes for you in this new passion.

My first experience

My first diving experience was terrible!!!!!
I would never forget my first diving experience it was 5 years ago and me and my brother had went to Greece for a vacation.
We stood on a bridge that was maybe hundred meters out in the sea, we saw the bottom nice and clearly and decided to jump from the bridge and swim down.
My brother began he went down very fast but it looked strange because the bottom appered to be so near but it took some time before he reached the surface.
Anyway after a while he came up , and now i felt forced to do the same ,it didnt look that deep anyway.
So i jumped form the bridge and went down the first five meters very fast , but then i didnt have the chance to equalize but as an totally unexperienced diver with the lack of judgement i went down to the bottom (never knew the depth)
with my ears almost popped.
Since then i have learned some and would never force myself down at any depth without the feeling of comfort and control , my brother have also learned some since then.

Btw. theese days my diving is really nice and i have had alot of good diving experiences since my first one ;)

jeppe.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT