• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

My first kill

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

GrumpyDre

Jan 2, 2004
Finally made it out on the water for my first spearing trip. Newbie+new gun + awesome Captain = First kill
Took a 25-30# cobia (no scale).
Will attempt to attach pic???
was an AWESOME ride
Also took my first AJ....Even better ride...
Went out 5/19/04 with Capt. Troy Wetzel out of Venice, LA with three other newbies....two of the three also scoring 2 fish each. :D

Attachments

• cobia.jpg
    cobia.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 710
Hi:)
I dont know how big these fish run as a rule but they sure are two very nice fish for anyone let alone your first trip. I remember my first' it was a good feeling :D well done! Hope this become the norm for you:cool:

Well done. Sweet AJ...man those things are tasty:cool:

Safe Diving

Baur

Thanks, Capt Troy Wetzel is the man.. He put us on the fish bigtime....
Killed 3 of 5 fish I shot at
can't wait to head out again..

Congratulations Dude. Those are some serious fish, especially for a rookie.

Keep it up and hope you continue to enjoy this success.

Awesome :friday Well done !!

Still have'nt shot anything that size !! Hopefully you will change your forum name now from grumpydre to 'Happydre !!' :=)

Jeff

First kill huh, kinda scary to think what you'll do once you get some experience. Congratualtions, nice fish.

Brad

Thanks guys,
To ansewr dallasdiver's questions, yes we dove rigs anywhere from 25 - 52 miles out. Viz varied from 20 feet closer in to 40 - 50 feet at the farthest point. It was an awesome day. I think everyone at work is tired of hearing "fish stories' it's nice to have an interested ear...

Andre'

Reactions: OceanSwimmer
Nice fish! I saw the photos on spearboard and recognized them.
How long have you been scuba diving ?By NEWB do you mean new to spearfishing or new to scuba diving?

Thats a decent size Cobia. It amazing when those things are under water with all their fins extended, how much they look like a shark. I saw some in the B.V. I's on the wreck of the Jacusine, and they were shooting through schools of fish in a feeding frenzy almost. We just hung back and watched the show.

Inspirin', old man, abs'lutely inspirin! I seem t'be on the track of controllin' m'allergies, there're several pools hereabouts to practice gettin' more comf'rtable in the water and next Wednesday is the next Neptunes meetin'. Fingers crossed and all that, don'tcherknow, and mebbe 'll be postin' some similar pix before the summers out. Andre', yer a splendid example, what?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT