• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

My first p/b worth "talking" about

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ingo63

Apr 1, 2003
I managed 50 meters underwater in our local pool today, 2 x 25 meter lengths, and no fins.Probably nothing to most of you but considering that a few weeks ago I couldn't even manage 25' without panicking I was delighted with it
One question though.... I can resist the urge to breath for about two seconds only , then I have to come up. In order to progress should I focus on resisting that urge for a lot longer and if so how much longer, or do I concentrate on my breathing up so the urge doesn't come on me for a lot longer ?
Thanks in advance of any replies,
Ingo
( one happy progressing "newbie" )

good going, ingo

50m no fins seems very good to me. i'd have no idea how far i could get since i probably lost the ability to swim without fins.

my playground is the red sea, so there are also no 50 m laps marked on the bottom to give it a go.

about the urge to breathe: i personally would first of all try to improve my technique (which is something i always feel needs improving), relaxation and develop a nice warmup/breathup routine. and with some more practice contractions will start later also. it will also get easier to resist contractions.
don't break a leg and risk a b/o.

stay with it

roland

Hello Roland,
Thank you for the kind words and the good advice.
I appreciate it very much.
I'll definitely start working more on developing a good technique.
Hopefully I'll be brave enough to give it a shot in the ocean by the summer ( and hopefully I'll actually know what I'm doing by then )
Thanks again Roland,
Ingo.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…