• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

My first p/b worth "talking" about

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ingo63

Apr 1, 2003
I managed 50 meters underwater in our local pool today, 2 x 25 meter lengths, and no fins.Probably nothing to most of you but considering that a few weeks ago I couldn't even manage 25' without panicking I was delighted with it :)
One question though.... I can resist the urge to breath for about two seconds only , then I have to come up. In order to progress should I focus on resisting that urge for a lot longer and if so how much longer, or do I concentrate on my breathing up so the urge doesn't come on me for a lot longer ?
Thanks in advance of any replies,
Ingo :)
( one happy progressing "newbie" )

good going, ingo

50m no fins seems very good to me. i'd have no idea how far i could get since i probably lost the ability to swim without fins.

my playground is the red sea, so there are also no 50 m laps marked on the bottom to give it a go.

about the urge to breathe: i personally would first of all try to improve my technique (which is something i always feel needs improving), relaxation and develop a nice warmup/breathup routine. and with some more practice contractions will start later also. it will also get easier to resist contractions.
don't break a leg and risk a b/o.

stay with it

roland

:cool:

Hello Roland,
Thank you for the kind words and the good advice.
I appreciate it very much.
I'll definitely start working more on developing a good technique.
Hopefully I'll be brave enough to give it a shot in the ocean by the summer ( and hopefully I'll actually know what I'm doing by then :eek: )
Thanks again Roland,
Ingo.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT