• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

My first set of Freedive gear

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
OK sweet, i'm gonna order 15 pounds with my order since the Picasso doesn't need as much. Worse comes to worse, i can always pick up a few more, but i doubt i will need them for now, im not spearfishing and im not diving very deep.

skarz,
for freshwater... I think you'll find yourself a bit heavy with that much weight.. I was in the water today in a 5mil, I'm 5'10", 160 lean.. 6lbs of weight had me just floating on the surface while inhaling but sinking on the exhale.. breathed up hangin' onto the float just to make it easy.
Fred

Last edited:
Just my two cents, when I spearfish I like to be under weighted.
I use 9lbs with a 7mm wetsuit. It's difficult to swim down the first
few feet but I find a rock to hold onto on the bottom and wait for the fish. That way when I'm fighting with the fish I'm also on my way to the surface.

i purchased a pair of omer milleniums an excalibur and i am thinking of getting an imersion sabre wetsuit and a imersion mask what do you think about this combination?

Question is Harpunetti, what do you think about this combination? Do they fit? Are they comfortable? Do you like them? Only you can answer these questions, try then on for size, if they meet the above criterion, buy them! if not try others ;)

Skarz,

I was just teaching a course yesterday and spent a bit of time re-weighting everyone. They all showed up with 16 pound belts, but ended up wearing 3 pounds to 6 pounds- depending upon how big they were and how thick their suit was.

For freediving I wear 4 pounds with my full 3mm suit and 6 pounds for my full 6mm suit. If I am spearfishing shallow I might go up to 16 pounds- but that's when I am in less than 10' of water.

Unlike the local scuba divers, who wear enough lead to sink a small blimp, freedivers don't really need that much weight- even with a 5mm suit on.

Jon

Yes Jon - I would agree with that - I tried to lift the weight contraption of a scuba mate and had trouble ! Seemed like it was a saddlebag of lead with a wire quickrelease - all very technical (and heavy).

Might start wearing less weight - I have a surfing wetsuit which has some 7mm panels (might be 5mm - at any rate very very bouyant) so I have been wearing 12 pounds (I'm 6'2"). Noticed that a mate with a 3mm Immersion freediving suit sank like a stone with 12 pounds ! Good info Jon.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT