• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

My first shot with a Riffe !!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Luis

The spearo-chef.
Apr 3, 2005
Hello everybody!

Long time no see you guys!, but I'm back, I think that I have to Thank you all, some weeks ago I asked you for advice, maybe you remember me "JBL, sea hornet or Riffe??". The thread was replied by most of you and with all the great feedback that I got I could choose a great gun. The Riffe NO KAI. It was a very busy month for me but I went to pick it up to San Diego, came back to Mexico, didn't even have the time to practice in the swiming pool, but as soon as I could I went to puerto vallarta, my first dive was a hell of an experience, I started very late (3.00 PM) the sea was not calmed at all, bad visibility, cloudy sky and a sea full of jellyfish (Not dangerous ones... But very painfully and annoying bugs).
I'm not going to bore you with the long story, but after several jellyfish stings on my back, chest and arms I saw some decent fish (There were almost none ) and for the first time I aimed my riffe and shooted to a fish 18 Ft away and my shot couldn't be more accurate... The fish went almost "Stone dead" :thankyou I couldn't believe it, maybe beginers luck but something was clear: My gun is a great one and I feel like a owe you all a big thank you, I was going to buy a JBL but because of your great advice my first gun is a great one!!.
Now... Can you identify that fish?, here it's called "Toro" (Bull fish) but is a local name, I'm sure that if I go to some other town the name will not be the same.
Honestly I didn't like the taste and color of the flesh, but anyway I ate it because I was not going to waste a life. Next time I'll shoot something that for sure is tasty :p !!

Attachments

• Pesca2-06-05.jpg
    Pesca2-06-05.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 317
Reactions: Oldsarge
Congrats Luis on your great purchase and first fish with the new gun. I'm sure you will love the riffe.

lee

I think a toro is commonly called a jack cravale in English.

Luis said:
I was going to buy a JBL but because of your great advice my first gun is a great one!! !!

Believe it or not,people have had the same experiance with Jbl guns even some that are second hand.

Luis,

Congratulations on your crevalle jack!

Most agree, not the tastiest fish, but a great fight.

Chad

Hiya

Great way to break in your new gun!!!

Regards
miles

Ahhhhhh yes.......I remember my first time with the riffe, truly exceptional....welcome to the club!

Next time you get one of those Crevalle Jacks, season well and throw on the bbq!?

Hello Guys!!!

Thanks for cheering me up! Now I really feel that I belong to the club :) ... And what a great one!!!

I still have one filet of that fish, and for sure I'll trow it to the charcoal grill with lots of spices to hide the flavor... I don't like it at all... But I can't stop smiling when I'm eating it and the akward taste is nothing compared to my pride of fishing it, specially under the conditions where I got it... My spearfishing buddy canceled me on the last minute, I had to hire a boat from somebody that I didn't even know (And that was an strike of luck cause now I know that I have a very reliable boat to rent and a great sailor to "drive it") the friends that I took with me are not divers but anyway they were going to support me... But as soon as they saw the first jellyfish they chickened out , and I ended up diving alone, I just told to the "Lanchero" (The boat's driver) that I can't hold my breath for more than 2 minutes, and that if I didn't surfaced in such period of time I was going to need his help and he gladly agreed to keep an eye on my while sipping his huge cold beer (yeah!!! I know that you can't believe it... But that's the very local way... And there's nothing that you can make to change it!!) :duh .
That was a day and there were many conditions that said me "Don't do it Luis!... You're going against all safety rules" But guys!!!!... It was my new riffe and I had just one day to fish... Then or wait for 3 weeks more at least!!! The fishing trip was sprinkled with many "No-no's", and funny-akward moments...
That's the reason that makes me smile when I'm chewing such a horrible taste and looking fish filet! And I know that all of you understand me better than anybody!!!!

Now I'm going to change the subject... Miles?... Did you have an encounter with a Great white shark lately... I was reading on a site from spain something like that , and there was a picture with a huge YF but not too many coments on the shark issue, and when I paid attention to the picture I said to myself...Look, the good ol' Miles is there !! Were that U?... Is that true??... There are not too many greenpeace guys or "Three hugers" here... Can you tell us about that? Or was that a rumor?.

Time to say good bye!! Many regards from Mexico and I hope to hear from you all soon!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT