• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

My first speargun shot

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

J Campbell

Sep 17, 2001
I'm going spearfishing for the first time in two weeks. I have a new rail speargun which I have never shot. I would like to try it out before the trip to become familiar, but I don't have access to any water of pool to do that. I'm wondering if there is a safe way to fire the gun on land - perhaps into a bale of hay of some other object to absorb the impact. Any opinions, ideas on this?
Also, what does it feel like when you shoot the speargun and miss the fish, does the free flying spear try to yank the gun from your hand?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
NO! Do load or fire your speargun on land. Very dangerous.

Do you have a muzzle bungee?

The speargun it seen as a Tool ,equitment to hunt fish when inmmersed in water having a safe distance from other persons or objects the objective is to shoot the fish with the guns spear shaft,.A Spear shaft out from the water could travel more so than a spear shaft in the water air and water have a different resistance for a Spear shaft ,.I saw on youtube some years ago some one in the uk in company of friends nearly shot him self in the head or to the eye ! the tension of the cord stopped the shaft from going further away the shaft returned some thing alike a boomarang it could have been worse maybe it could have been a observer close or near

Thanks for the answers! I suspected that the answer would be NO! I won't be trying this.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT