• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

My new Cressi Sub Gara 2000 HF's

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

bgill

BANNED
BANNED
Jun 14, 2006
Tried mine out yesterday "for the first time" in Lake Michigan. All I can say is AWESOME!

The footpocket fits perfectly. At first they (the blades) seemed SUPER stiff and my legs did tire a little easier than usual - The kicker was is that I did'nt have to work "as hard" to gain depth or ascent. I still could have gone "all day" no problem. Was out finning and diving for about 4 hours. Got two tiny blisters on one of my toes - I went barefoot or no sock.

Three or for good kicks and I'd just "glide" to the bottom in 20 f.o.w.

The "surface swim" took a little getting used to but was easily managed -

Underwater I could actually catch-up to the fish if I spooked them - and try for another shot sometimes! (I was spearing for perch) Undewater control was easy too...even in current. Yes...Lake Michigan does have some VERY strong current at times and in certain places -

Do you think that light ankle-weights would help with the "surface swim?"

All in all these are great fins - Especially for hunting. Got mine for $98.00 delivered to my door! LeisurePro had my fins to me in 4 days!

:inlove :inlove :inlove :inlove I love my new fins:inlove :inlove :inlove :inlove

Ended up with two perch....Yum.... and a nice sized quillback carp-sucker I'm gonna try on the smoker! Never saw one of those before...Weird looking fish...

EDIT: Upon futher investigation it was a GIZZARD SHAD!!!! Can you eat them? I'm smoking the beast right now! I'll try ALMOST anything atleast one time....

2ND EDIT: I should go scrape that thing off my smoker right now....Did an internet search...They are highly prized by crab fishermen.....FOR BAIT!!!! I guess they taste pretty fishy too....Yuk!!! I'll still try just a nibble though!!!!

Last edited:
Cool report, keep 'em coming. And keep on buying italian gear! (Cressi et al.)
No clues about gizzard shad, but perch is one of the best freshwater fish to eat.
I always wanted to ask to lake Michigan guys: do you have any eels in your lake? None of you ever reported about that. It's a challenging hunting.
artpsub0148.jpg

Reactions: bgill
Yup....Perch are delishious! The only eel type animals that live in The Great Lakes that I know of are the Sea Lamprey & the Burbot or Eelpout. The Sea Lamprey is more of fish parasite than an eel. Don't think I'd want to eat one. Burbot on the other hand are FANTASTIC eating.

Only "panfish" and "rough fish" can be legally speared in Lake Michigan. And to do that I'm pretty sure you have to be spearing off the shores of either the state of Indiana or Wisconsin and of course have a fishing license. Every state has it's own set of rules - and they vary greatly. Some states even allow you to spear walleyes and northern pike! Illegal here in the state of Wisconsin:naughty ....Some states only allow you to spear "rough" fish. A rough fish would be like a carp or a sucker or a GIZZARD SHAD...By the way they taste like a softened up smoked old shoe!!!!!

I would like to get some burbot or what is also known as eelpout off of some Lake Michigan ship/boat wrecks...They too are delicious and SOMEWHAT eel-like!

Do You eat the eels that you kill? Or are they considered a "rough" fish or a non-game or unprotected specie?

Below is a pic of a Burbot or Eelpout......MmmmmmmmYummmmmy!

And a Sea Lamprey.....Yuck!!! :mute

And yes....ALL of my f'diving equipment would either be of Italian or South African make if I could afford it...SOMEDAY maybe!!!:)

Last edited:
Eels - I don't believe - do not live in Lake Michigan - but you never know. There are Burbot- Which would be close ?.

Bgill- Those fins make a big difference huh? Nice! I found my trident speartip by the way- it was in a different pocket on my float. I would like to go in the Big Lake on Monday but it looks like bad weather and SE winds. I got my new Elios suit today and can't wait to try it. Let me know when ever you go and would like some company.

-----Scott

Do You eat the eels that you kill? Or are they considered a "rough" fish or a non-game or unprotected specie?
We eat them, we eat them. There are hundreds of traditional recipes for cooking eels in Italy and all over Europe (I ate marinated eel in Denmark, eel soup in Germany, et cetera, et cetera). We have burbots as well in our lakes on the southern edge of the Alps (spearfishing is allowed only in the three major lakes). Over here the burbots behaviour is quite similar to eels: they both stay motionless under rocks or under other solid hidings. Shooting and retrieving is quite easy, but finding them is not easy at all: they hide in dark spots and you must scan every single rock, so it's all going up and down from surface to bottom. But the taste is worth the fatigue. Eels also hide in the kelp or under the sand: you must look for holes or cracks in the sand, then shoot the hole and see what comes out!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT