• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

My new custom built 105cm teak wood gun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Kayakov

Jun 21, 2005
Hi, after about 6 months of designing, buying materials, sawing, glueing, measuring and sanding, my new wooden speargun is ready...
It's made out of 5 laminates of teak wood, glued with west system epoxy.
It has 105cm open track coated with epoxy mixed with graphite, for added durability and to reduce friction with the spear.
The spear is 7mm Rob Allen 130cm length.
Trigger mech was ordered from Steve Veros at Poseidonsub.
The entire gun is covered with several coats of epoxy, and above several coats of yacht varnish.
You can judge the result yourself, but all I can say is that on my first dive with it I shot a yellowmouth barracuda and a shi drum.

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

You can see more pictures of the gun and the fish in my Blog.
Happy hunting, Ido

Reactions: Newbie_spearo
absolutely lovely gun! amazing man. those must have been the longest six months in your life. i dont think i have the patience to wait that long. i must imagine the joy of seeing your creation take form.
lovely gun, if it ever needs a second home, its more than welcome in mine

That is one sexy gun!!! Looks like it was made by a true professional! You must take a lot of pride in your work and be a perfectionist! If you are thinking about taking orders I'll be the first to give you my credit card details, haha. I've been toying with the idea of making my own woody, and I'm sure some day I will. Thanks for sharing!

Nice looking gun, you should post some more details and pictures here too :)

Very nice lines and excellent craftsmanship...hopefully it will provide you with years of enjoyment...WTG:friday

Not bad! Good to see you took your time and concentrated. I am working on my for 4 months so far and I am just now getting to the finishing details, so I know how hard it is to watch it take shape.

Personally to get around the anticipation, I would get in the shower get all wet, put my mask on and streak through the house holding my unfinished gun. rofl

Good job man!

Reactions: ubik
Very nice !!

Let me ask you all a question these metal hooks on the muzzle, do you actually make them or you buy them pre made.

View attachment 21155

Yes, it's quite simple, just a stainless steel wire (1.5mm), folded and bent, and then glued to the wood.
All the hardware for this gun was handmade from SS (part from the trigger mech)
Sorry for the delay...

Very nice indeed! <3 It's a great pleasure shooting the first fish with a homemade gun. Thumbs up!!
Jégwan

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT