• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

My new gun, the Teak-Sea Pal90.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

paddythefrog

Aug 29, 2004
Well, here it is folks, I'm sure you can see the photo's just fine at www.teak-sea.com but here are a few more and my initial impressions of this very fine piece of kit for your consideration!

http://members.boards.ie/tacticalanni/PICT0028.JPG -- nice system to prevent the spear moving around at all and making any noise. Space for mounting 2 bands or one, as preferred.

There's some nice fine tuning options with this gun with regards the power/accuracy it can deliver and I'm sure that 5M shots on bigger fish are very doable in clearer waters (one of my biggest reasons for getting the gun, I have a good shot from the distance but my previous guns just don't deliver the power and accuracy required, so, I treated myself to this for xmas). I've also gone through so many guns that I wanted to buy something that would last quite some time, 10yrs guarantee takes care of that!

http://members.boards.ie/tacticalanni/PICT0029.JPG -- butt view from the left hand side with reel mounted for the hell of it (I'll rarely be using a reel anyhow but it's nice to have for those awkward situations such as big conger).

http://members.boards.ie/tacticalanni/PICT0030.JPG -- butt view from topside giving you an idea of it's squid-bone-like shape which is peculiar at first but the more I look at it, the more I love it!

http://members.boards.ie/tacticalanni/PICT0031.JPG -- top-front view to give you more of an idea about its shape. My new sound system is rather nice too, as you can see I'm making use of my weights to route some cabling (pic 29) rofl

http://members.boards.ie/tacticalanni/PICT0032.JPG -- top-centre view where the shape slims up and changes (there are 3 spots it does this, the butt end is square, which then rounds out just after the trigger and gets slimmer towards the middle, then it slims down again right to the end tip of the gun)

http://members.boards.ie/tacticalanni/PICT0033.JPG -- right side, butt view with safety mechanism in place -- there's a little hole to keep it on the other side of the gun.

Comments, questions or requests for more pictures welcome. It will be hitting the water with me sometime in early March so I'll be sure and post back with results once I've done some testing. I'll be comparing it to all the 90cm tubes I've used in the past -- euro guns, all of them - Beuchat, sporasub, jb esclapez and any other fancy guns many of my diving buddies have had that I've tried and tested. So far, my favourite euro gun has been the sporasub viper 90cm tube by H.Dessault. Next favourite was the JB esclapez followed by the Beuchat Mundial.

Reactions: Alison
Very nice Gun
I would be interested to hear your views on the gun after a season of use.
I still have exactly no time for reels, prefer to keep it simple, tried a few but couldn't get my head around them.
looks like a semi enclosed track, what diameter is the spear?.
how many wraps are you going to use with the 2 bands?

You bet, I'll be sure and let you know Huan. Forgot to mention the price tag -- €430 incl. delivery. Fortunately that includes some spare bands, a spear and I believe what you refer to as 'wraps' if I'm not mistaken..

Yeah, I haven't found a need for a reel in these waters either and would agree 100% with you on the 'keep it simple' front. It is indeed a semi-closed track that guides the spear and it itself is 7.2mm in diameter.
Bit confused by what you mean by 'wraps'? Please clarify but I believe the answer is one if you're referring to the cord that latches onto the spear when loading it? All cord has been reinforced with wax I might add, extremely tough and highly unlikely it will break considering the mini-shark fins that it latches onto are buttery smooth! I was pretty shocked to see they were in fact making the shafts themselves too upon closer inspection. It oozes quality and hey, I might be down your way for a weekend spearing around early-mid March if you fancy giving it a shot yourself :)

Last edited:
Very nice :) Cant say I liked the look of them on the website but it looks very good in your pics, should be a joy to use.
A wrap is a run of shooting line between the muzzle, to the line release and back to the muzzle

Gotcha -- was actually considering a second wrap but I'll see how I go with one to start off, plenty experimenting to be done -- 2nd will be needed for that bit more distance alright.

See how poor my english is when talking about spearing, still learning -- have it all in French though if that's any use :)

Cheers, I can't wait to get this into the water for the new season!

On that note Alison: when I took the gun out of it's packaging, the first thing to strike me was that the pictures on teak-sea didn't really do it justice ;)

% 100 agree with alison, it seems much better in your pictures.

Congrat with your new gun and hope you fishfull days with it.
If you can mount the reel horizontal, that way your gun will move much better in the water, ans will help very little to the shooting ballistic as well.

Paddy
I have been diving in the last few weeks and the vis is exceptional esp. right now when it has been dead flat for a week.
I have a feeling there is some Bass around and I will have a check this weekend.
I would love to have a shot off your gun especially on some Bass.
I reckon 2 wraps would probably be OK I have used 2 wraps before with a 6mm spear and it was good for those longer shots.
give me a shout if you are coming down.

Huan said:
Paddy
I have been diving in the last few weeks and the vis is exceptional esp. right now when it has been dead flat for a week.
I have a feeling there is some Bass around and I will have a check this weekend.
I would love to have a shot off your gun especially on some Bass.
I reckon 2 wraps would probably be OK I have used 2 wraps before with a 6mm spear and it was good for those longer shots.
give me a shout if you are coming down.

Oh, you are tempting me now! I am heading down that way over the next couple of weeks so will be in touch. Eagerly awaiting to hear back about any sightings from my best friends at the dinner table! :p

Very good ,powerfull gun indeed Paddy,hope to catch nice basses at March,We will be waiting for the photos and your reviews on the gun
Huan is right ,you must use double wraps with this device of course.What is the length of the barrel and spear??
Aydın

That is a very nice looking gun.
More pictures of it (probably next to a nice 5 kilo bass:)) will be very welcomed!
I have a thing for these wooden guns. I've recently built my first one and I cannot wait to test it in the water.
If you can post a few more pictures, especially of the gun's downside and of the rail without the shaft in it, I would appreciate it. I'm collecting ideas for my next project...
Cheers!

Good and elegant gun, I watched a movie in which the spearo was using a 3 band teak sea gun, and believe me it was good. I bet yours will be really good aswell :)

camera is bust :(
Should be fixed somewhere mid-next week and I'll get some more pics up for you or see if I can't borrow one.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT