• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

My new guns arrive this weekend!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Newbie_spearo

AKA Not So Newbie Anymore
Jan 28, 2008
My 2 new Rob Allen guns arrive on saturday, fingers crossed my dad doesn't have any problems at customs. Th weather looks good at this point so if all goes to plan I'll be posting some pics of some fish and have a story or 2 to tell!!!

Your wait is almost over. Are your Rob Allens' coming with the open or closed muzzles? I just got a Caranx 1300.

Regards,
Mitch

There are different muzzle types??? You mean I get to choose between the muzzle types? Haha just kidding, I believe they will be closed muzzle, I didn't specify which one and I'm under the impression that most come with closed muzzles so I think that's what I'm getting. I ordered a 100cm Caranx, and a 130cm Tuna plus a spare spear for each. I'll be testing the Caranx ASAP but my dad only lands sat night and I have a course on sunday which i need to attend so I can get an extra job to earn some money to blow on more spearfishing stuff:D SO it might be during the week I get out but chances are next weekend.:head

Keep us informed of how they go mate

Also after alot of searching and reading, reading, reading im just gonna get myself the seac asso 115 instead of the cyranos 110. I can get the asso locally for $299. I should be getting it in a week or so.
Then i just need advice to get the mamba kit and possibly new spear?(i cant wait)
I still have my creesi SL100 which i will still use for more reef work and stuff, but i want more power :p

Sounds like you'll be having some fun with the new guns and the bank balance will be looking pretty healthy still? I haven't really looked into the compressed air guns but they just don't seem to appeal to me? I just get the feeling that they would give trouble when you least need it, like when that 10kg snapper gets with in range and isn't going anywhere coz he's lookng at you thinking to him self whats this idiot making all these bubbles for, looks like something's frustrating him, maybe I'll have a closer look roflroflI think I'd be putting more money in the swear jar than it would cost me to fly to fiji for 2 weeks.

Only 3 more days:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
I MOST CERTAINLY AM!!!! Only problem is I'm gonna have to wait till next weekend unless my mate can come out with me during the week and I don't like my chances:( I'm gonna be dreaming about catching fish all week instead of doing my uni homework:naughty All I wanna do is catch some fish to post on here and get my rep points on the up, haha, I've been getting some good increases of late and I'd like to get a few more:D

for the tuna, i think ultimately an open muzzle would be better,,,you could always buy that and install it later...the reason being you tend to use a thick spear for such setup 7.5mm etc..so i feel with the closed muzzle that things are pretty tight and reloading not as easy..but like i said you could always do/try that later on..maybe youll like it just the way it is and wont need to change

Hey Marwan, thanks for the advice, to be honest I have no idea what Rob has put on the guns and I guess I'll find out when my dad gets back saturday night. For all I know thats what he has done but I'm not sure what Rob does in the situation where a customer doesn't specify. If I do buy another muzzle it'll be when a family member goes back home or one come's over here coz I'd be paying as much for the muzzle as I have for the gun if I buy the muzzle in Australia.

I MOST CERTAINLY AM!!!! Only problem is I'm gonna have to wait till next weekend unless my mate can come out with me during the week and I don't like my chances:( I'm gonna be dreaming about catching fish all week instead of doing my uni homework:naughty All I wanna do is catch some fish to post on here and get my rep points on the up, haha, I've been getting some good increases of late and I'd like to get a few more:D

I am also impatiently waiting with getting my ice fins and Sporasub spark 110 order sorted (see the "Online shop not responding" thread), but Newbie, maybe you should check out pneumatic guns some more in the future, the dark side is beckoning for you!

I am also impatiently waiting with getting my ice fins and Sporasub spark 110 order sorted (see the "Online shop not responding" thread), but Newbie, maybe you should check out pneumatic guns some more in the future, the dark side is beckoning for you!

Haha, well maybe one day I will. But for now my RA Caranx and Tuna should do the trick. Once I catch some fish and get good at it I'll see what advantages a pnuematic might offer but if I do get one I could only see it being a very small like 35-40cm that might be used for a kill shot on the larger pelagics. Assuming I ever get out to blue water.

Newbie......sounds like ur ecstatic about ur RA's.....I love my Tuna 120....shoots like a dream with modded bands and an open muzzle.....I'd suggest spending the $25 for open muzzle......no sight problems looking down the barrel/shaft and the crimp on the line has no possibility of catching or slowing down upon reaching the end of the gun....I've also considered a new shark fin shaft with a midway stopper - this way u can rest and then pull the band further.....let me know when u get it wet mate, always like to hear reviews and feedback about RA products.....

*The Beast*

Hi Cbeast,

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of only paying $25 for an open muzzle here in OZ. I'll wind up paying around $125 because our import duties are so much. Hence the reason I bought my guns in South Africa and am getting my dad to bring them back with him. I have saved a bucket load of dosh so anyone heading over SA way grab a gun or 2 coz it's well worth it! The guns have been couriered to Jo'burg so I can't change anything now. But I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever set up they have. Next time anyone is heading back home or coming my direction I'll get them to bring back some goodies and will do a little more homework on here with you guys to find out what I should get. Live and learn, but thankfully this hasn't been an expensive lesson and I've saved money.:D

My Guns arrived last night and they Look AWESOME!!!! I'll get pics up when I can. Just wanna get in the water now so hopefully friday or saturday next week. The bands seem really really thick. Maybe i just haven't seen 20mm bands before but even the 16mm look thick? Hopefully if the weather is good I can get out to Warratah Bay next week but I don't particularly want to spend $50 in petrol when I have to try save a bit more for my wetsuit? Might have to line up a few odd jobs here and there to help with the bills. By the way SinglerM they both have closed muzzles with room for 2 bands.
I know you aren't supposed to load your guns out of the water but how much difference is there between the 2? I mean in terms of it being easier in the water coz to be honest I think I may have some trouble, and I'm not by any means a small kid.

Glad the guns arrived in one piece and u like them. Yes post some pics so we can see what ya got.
Its a shame your in Vic as i am always interested in going spearing..Rain hail or shine :)

I know you aren't supposed to load your guns out of the water but how much difference is there between the 2? I mean in terms of it being easier in the water coz to be honest I think I may have some trouble, and I'm not by any means a small kid.

when i first got my RA w/ 20mm bands i tried to "dry load" it... i wasnt going to notch it or anything, just wanted to see what pulling on the bands was like. i was dismayed at how hard it was to pull on the bands and was worried about being able to do it in the water. but once i got in the lake and after messing around a little bit i found it much easier to load in the water. keep in mind that my gun (70cm caranx :p) is much shorter than yours, but it seems to be more technique over strength. the RA site (Rob Allen spearguns, railguns and other spearfishing and freediving accessories.) looks redesigned... but it used to have a step by step picture tutorial on how to load the guns in water. cant wait to hear about your first go w/ em, good luck!

Don't worry! It's technique...
You can load any gun in the water.
Looking forward to the pics.

It's not the rain or hail i'm, worried about. It's the wind, coz if it's too windy we can't get the boat outta the inlet because of the sand bar and waves. However I might do a shore dive but I need to organise a float as I'd like to hang on to my new gun for a little while:D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT