• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

My new monfin!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Welkommen!

Hi Dave; always nice to meet a new diver...especially a monodiver :)
Try swimming on your side at the surface....you don't even need a snorkel really for that. You will get almost the same effect as at depth: certainly faster and more efficient than face down, where you only move the fin half the distance, and can't undulate properly.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

daveM.

where in southern ontario are you>?

i'm in the K-W area,

contact me by private message, or email me (thin_air2@hotmail.com)

someone in southern ontario...and they ride bikes and they swim

this could be nice

Re: Welkommen!

erik! :D i got my fin in time for my trip. i got the medium stiffness blade, but i think it's too stiff for freediving. at least on the descent. :( but, it rocks for surface swimming and coming up from depths. i had it down to 30m the first day i tried it and i came up a little over zealous at about 20knots. ;) rofl i think i was covering 25m vertically in less than 10 seconds. :eek: it was crazy! i couldn't believe how fast i could go! i was practically swimming circles around all the fish and turtles! the only thing was that the tight foot pockets and the fact that my feet we're strapped together kinda screwed up my psychie and killed my ability to relax. :( i'll have to practice quite a bit w/ it. hope all's well.

later,
anderson

Cool

Yes Elvis, the mighty power of the monofin is amazing! It has taken me some amount of practice to adapt to the medium blade, and my next will be a soft (quiet Sven) . Usually I will take a foot out of the pocket during the odd breathe-up when they get sore. after half an hour I need to get my right foot out, as it is a little bigger than the left (quiet Sven).
Glad you like it....things are fairly awesome here in Dahab....walls at the edge of the beach, no current, and no wetsuit needed :)
Cheers,
Erik Y.

why the soft blade?

Erik- why the soft blade? I have the soft blade now and I do not find it to be more efficient than my Beuchats. I was thinking maybe the medium blade would be better. What are your thoughts?
Jim

Hi Jim,
I find that most of the time, especially diving with very little weight, such as in dynamic or in the warm waters I'm at now, the blade does not flex enough unless I kick harder. My style is such that I kick as gently as possible, and would benefit from more flex on the blade.
Even with a 5mm suit and 8 lbs on in Canada, I found that I wanted a softer blade (even ascending from 45 metres).
That all said, the medium is fine, I love it, but will definitely buy a softer one next time :)
Cheers,
Erik Y.
then again, Eric F's been using heavy carbon blades forever, so I could be wrong:confused:

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT