• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

My Sporasub Mystic Review

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Dr.Clean

May 9, 2010
I saw a lot of complaints about how the Mystic leaks, due to it's ridiculously soft skirt. Luckily, because I have a relatively wide face I don't have any problems with this. I was able to lay on my back in 12 feet no leaks. I was able to sit on my knees in 12 feet look straight up and still no leaks.

The very first time I used it, I hopped into the pool(12 feet) with the mask in my hand. I hadn't planned on doing this but I decided to throw the mask on my face. I have never used a mask that cleared so easily.

When I first looked at it, it resembled a childrens mask because it was so small, but it's SOOOO comfortable. The field of view is also very good.

Right now, I have no complaints about it. But, I have only used it twice, so I will update this thread if I find anything wrong with it. But, in my opinion it's definitely worth the $60 from LeisurePro.

Reactions: markic and Mr. X
Thanks for the review Dr. C!

I've been thinking about getting this mask for a while, because some people were saying it's very soft & makes equalizing easy. I tend to fit wide masks, so your experience is good to know.

I think I'll order it through DeeperBlue though. If you click on the Shopping link up top and go to the Spetton masks section, you'll find they have it on for US$32.83 and they have both the black & dark green versions ( Sporasub Mystic. Masks Masks, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, dive ) Shipping from them has always been good for me too, I always get things that aren't backordered in less than a week.

Aloha, Steve

Thanks for the review Dr. C!

I've been thinking about getting this mask for a while, because some people were saying it's very soft & makes equalizing easy. I tend to fit wide masks, so your experience is good to know.

I think I'll order it through DeeperBlue though. If you click on the Shopping link up top and go to the Spetton masks section, you'll find they have it on for US$32.83 and they have both the black & dark green versions ( Sporasub Mystic. Masks Masks, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, dive ) Shipping from them has always been good for me too, I always get things that aren't backordered in less than a week.

Aloha, Steve

Yeah. I saw it on there first. But shipping for me(from UK), would have put the mask over the price of the mask on LeisurePro. Also, I love LP's service. But, I did recommend to somebody else, that if they live in the UK it would be best to buy it from DB.

I don't think it is based in the UK, as UK shipping is not that cheap for the UK. [Maybe Portugal or Spain?]

Reactions: Dr.Clean
A buddy of mine told me it was in the UK.

DeeperBlue is located in the UK, but the online store seems to be located in Spain, since that's where all my shipments have come from.

You're right, LeisurePro has very good shipping rates to the USA. Shipping to Canada costs about the same from both places, but funnily enough, I've always gotten items faster From DB's online store than from LeisurePro. One thing though, is I agree with you about LeisurePro's service. You can call them up and get a real person right away, who knows what they're doing.

DeeperBlue is located in the UK, but the online store seems to be located in Spain, since that's where all my shipments have come from.

You're right, LeisurePro has very good shipping rates to the USA. Shipping to Canada costs about the same from both places, but funnily enough, I've always gotten items faster From DB's online store than from LeisurePro. One thing though, is I agree with you about LeisurePro's service. You can call them up and get a real person right away, who knows what they're doing.

Yeah. I haven't even had to call them yet. Everything that I have ordered has been spot on. And, I believe the reason why it's quicker from DB is because the only option for the US(at least that I saw) is a two day shipping.

Oh my god does this mask leaks and fogs (something maybe can be done about the fogging but there's no solution for leaking (except maybe plastic surgeon) more money wasted for nothing, i'm gonna make quite a collection of useless masks if this continues (now i have 2 that doesn't fit my face : Technisub Falco and Sporasub Mystic ). I have also Technisub Micromask which was not yet tried under water, so there's still a slight chance i'll be diving with a good mask this summer, if this fails, after spending a lot of money i'll have to go back to my old old old Cressi Aquarius which by no means is a low volume mask that i needed.

I have a mystic and is very pleased with it,It comes down to face shape.With masks it is best to go to the shop and try it on to see if it fits,but due to the net shops everybody is using theese days,not many lokal shops survive...

i have a mystic. no leaks, as long as i've shaved that morning.
my girlfriend is always pleased when i'm going diving, as it's pretty much the only time i'll be clean-shaven...

Reactions: JAD
Oh my god does this mask leaks and fogs (something maybe can be done about the fogging but there's no solution for leaking (except maybe plastic surgeon) more money wasted for nothing, i'm gonna make quite a collection of useless masks if this continues (now i have 2 that doesn't fit my face : Technisub Falco and Sporasub Mystic ). I have also Technisub Micromask which was not yet tried under water, so there's still a slight chance i'll be diving with a good mask this summer, if this fails, after spending a lot of money i'll have to go back to my old old old Cressi Aquarius which by no means is a low volume mask that i needed.

That seems a bit odd, as the Falco is a Sphera with glass lenses (meaning it flexes laterally a lot less) and is a wide fitting mask. The Mystic is a medium width mask and the extremely soft silicone is very pliable / accommodating.

You mention that you have a micromask which fits narrow faces, so you may have a shot with that one.

I have a narrow face, but with a hood on, I'd say most ppls faces get "wider" with their cheeks being pushed out.

Make sure there is no hair in the way of the seal and also check in a mirror to see where the seal may be breaking.

I saw a diver on Thursday eve complaining of a leaking minima and I could see right away where it was leaking. Laugh lines around the bottom edges of the mouth were the obvious culprit. Wearing the mask a bit higher up would solve the issue.

Last resort is to put the mask on and pressurize it with your nose and feel where the air is escaping. You can modify / trim the second / inner seal to get a flusher fit as necessary.

That seems a bit odd, as the Falco is a Sphera with glass lenses (meaning it flexes laterally a lot less) and is a wide fitting mask. The Mystic is a medium width mask and the extremely soft silicone is very pliable / accommodating.

You mention that you have a micromask which fits narrow faces, so you may have a shot with that one.

I have a narrow face, but with a hood on, I'd say most ppls faces get "wider" with their cheeks being pushed out.

Make sure there is no hair in the way of the seal and also check in a mirror to see where the seal may be breaking.

I saw a diver on Thursday eve complaining of a leaking minima and I could see right away where it was leaking. Laugh lines around the bottom edges of the mouth were the obvious culprit. Wearing the mask a bit higher up would solve the issue.

Last resort is to put the mask on and pressurize it with your nose and feel where the air is escaping. You can modify / trim the second / inner seal to get a flusher fit as necessary.

Falco is not leaking too much (still enough that i can't dive for a long time with it) , but it distorts vision in my experience (although some people say it doesn't). Mystic on the other hand is taking water in like it was designed to do exactly that and not preventing water from entering the mask. No doubt where Mystic is leaking, it's under my nose. I'm gonna try Micromask tomorrow, let's hope third time's the charm.

Last edited:
Micromask is excellent, I have a narrow face and it fits perfectly....

No doubt where Mystic is leaking, it's under my nose. I'm gonna try Micromask tomorrow, let's hope third time's the charm.

Have you tried changing the angle of the strap, to try to get it to exert more pressure on your upper lip?

I actually align both parts of the mystic's straps in the back so that they overlap. For me it prevents the upper strap from moving when I power off the bottom of a line dive (I start with a loosely fitting mask and then the 5mm neoprene compresses a lot at depth, so the mask remains loose) - but it could help put more pressure where you need it.

The buckles on the mystic allow for a wide degree of angle in the strap, to suit diff people's faces / needs.

I've had great success on my narrow face with the fit of the micromask, Superocchio and even Cressi Lince (which is the mask of choice for women to borrow from me, because it's small)

Hello all! Scrolled down all your comments, and thanks to your opinions reg. mask as I'm in the moment to choose one fitted the best for my narrow small face. And as most of beginning freedivers feel lost with huge variety :) So, I agreed with local diving shop to be their mask-tester for free :) (ofcause had to left some deposit in case if I'd damage mask or so). I 'm gonna try in 4.5m swimming pool: Sporasub Mystic, Omer Bandit, Cressi Superocchio and Mares (guess X-Free?). Will update you with results next week:) Have a nice day!:-*

I use the Mystic too. Wearing it in my avatar photo.
In recent times I've fallen back on it, as a lot of the new masks don't fit my face, (Mares Viper, Omer UP-M1, Steel Comp etc) I did have fogging issues with the Mystic at the beginning, even after the lighter trick and scrubbing etc. It does get better. What I like about it is that it doesn't live marks on my face even after hours of use and also I love the field of view. Another good thing is the easily accessible nose pocket, especially if you're wearing thick gloves. It's decent mask.
I tried the Mares X-Free on dry recently and it felt good. Might try one. Another one I tried on was the Seac Sub M70. Now that felt really good. Best Mask I've tried on dry. I've ordered one.

Tusa Panthes is my fav mask now for narrow faces.

Compliant skirt and super low volume. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 103Alex1
I'll take the falco off your hands ;)

Tusa Panthes is my fav mask now for narrow faces.

Compliant skirt and super low volume. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting this ! I've got a narrow face - the vast majority of masks leak like crazy at the sides and been trying to decide on a low volume mask for months, so many of the ones tipped for narrow faces get bad reports in terms of other aspects and some are more for kids than adults. Got through the Summer again with a Tusa Visio Pro larger volume mask which I love and fits great with almost no leaks, but it's a hefty old thing to wear freediving. Definitely sounds like the Panthes is one to give a go ?

Most bi-lens spearo masks seem to be designed for narrower faces. They usually seal well against my fairly wide face but would likely fit a narrower face better (e.g. Aqualung Technisub Micromask, Omer Alien, Seacsub Combat X).

Reactions: 103Alex1
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT