• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

My yellow mask isn't yellow enough

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

speardummie

Apr 7, 2023
Hello captains! I read that you can see better in dark/murky waters with yellow glass. So I ordered a mask with "Brightening Yellow Glass" to see what all the fuss was about.

I was expecting to see a lovely yellow tint, like with sunglasses. But the mask that I bought gives a green tint. It does have a yellow reflective coating on it, but that's where the yellow ends.

Is it standard with all yellow-tinted masks?
Will this green tint help me see better underwater?

They are meant to improve contrast underwater when looking at weedy bottoms in less bright conditions, but cut down the light in general with a filter on the mask essentially. I tried one for a couple of dives but didn’t think it helped all that much with picking up fish hiding in the vegetation or detecting other details, so stopped using it and went back to my usual mask. When viz was poor it was hopeless as you need all the light you can get.

Thanks the the reply! That's exactly what I need it for.

When you looked through your mask, did it give a yellow tint to your image? Or.... Was it green?

I think I got fooled with their marketing and I don't wanna buy another mask just to figure this out

They are meant to improve contrast underwater when looking at weedy bottoms in less bright conditions, but cut down the light in general with a filter on the mask essentially. I tried one for a couple of dives but didn’t think it helped all that much with picking up fish hiding in the vegetation or detecting other details, so stopped using it and went back to my usual mask. When viz was poor it was hopeless as you need all the light you can get.

Thanks the the reply! That's exactly what I need it for.

When you looked through your mask, did it give a yellow tint to your image? Or.... Was it green?

I think I got fooled with their marketing and I don't wanna buy another mask just to figure this out

Like it was said previously - you need as much light going through your mask as possible. Stick with the clear tempered glass

I think the tinted lens idea was borrowed from the use of such filters in snow goggles, but underwater is a completely different situation to skiing down a slope as ski goggles are looking out on a field that is principally white and you can have mist or fog which may obscure where you are going. When diving we are looking for details within a visual range of say 20 to 30 feet and often way less.

I think the tinted lens idea was borrowed from the use of such filters in snow goggles, but underwater is a completely different situation to skiing down a slope as ski goggles are looking out on a field that is principally white and you can have mist or fog which may obscure where you are going. When diving we are looking for details within a visual range of say 20 to 30 feet and often way less.
The only case I heard about tinted lenses is from a guy who claimed that big amberjacks are getting spooked when they saw his eyes so he tried to cover them with his hand or avoid direct stare. We saw together a 45-kilo one right at the surface and it stayed outside of a 6-meter range. So the guy claimed that covering your eyes would help to shorten the distance

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT