• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Neck weight configuration

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

derelictp

Freediver
Oct 16, 2001
I am testing different configurations on neckweight combined with a regular weightbelt for dynamic apnea.

I am curious about if there is some other divers who have found a good configuration.

Without suit I use:

neck: 1.2kg
waist: 2kg
maybe there should be less at the neck and more at the waist?...opinions?

2mm suit:
neck: 1.8kg
waist: 3.5kg

I feel like I'm a little to heavy at the neck but that can be because I am not used to wear neckweight?!...:confused:

Hey Pete - I used a neck weight with 6lb all in the neck, and with no suit and no other weight, I can cover 25m in three strokes (no fins). If anything, my knees still come close to the ground, but maybe it's just me :)

Reactions: derelictp
Thanks Loopy!

Do you have the correct constant to calculate lbl:s to kg or vice versa???

Thanks Teppo and Ron!

Loopy: 2,7kg on the neck and nothing more; interesting!!

Teppo: I remember you used 1,2kg neck / 4kg waist with a shorty that makes 23% at the neck and 77% on the waist.

My config makes 37%/63% without suit and 33%/67% with suit.

I think I will try 1,2/4 with suit to have more to compare with.

Last edited:
This morning I tried a 1kg/2kg without suit config. I felt like there should be some more around the neck so it seems for me that without suit between 1 and 1.2 kg at neck and 2kg at the waist is good.

Neck weight

Hey,
I use 1,2 kg neck weight without suit. For me that's enough 'cause I've got only something like 3% of body fat (185cm, 72kg).

O'Boy: I assume you don't use a regular weightbelt in combination with your neckweight, correct??

Thanks

i'm using about 1.7kg neckweight, it's about the maximun amount of lead shot i can fit into the bicycle tube it's made from. on my belt i've been using about 7kg with or without 3mm. this seems a lot more than anybody else is wearing but i think if you're a slow swimmer like myself there's more benefit in being neutral.
the way i reason it, even if you swim fast, with say a 1:30 dynamic, the amount of effort wasted in you dont use a weightbelt(and it seems a lot of peolple dont) is equivelent to the amount of effort it would take to stay submerged in the same spot for 1:30. try a static in 2m of water with nothing to hold onto and see how long you last.
i find it interesting that there are such different approaches to dynamic(and freediving in general). you would think it could be empirically tested what is the best weighting, arm possition, speed, and be once and for all agreed upon. maybe our makeups are that different that there arent any hard and fast rules, but i still somehow feel that there must be a large number of freedivers who are making it unnecessarily hard on themselves. maybe myself included. i guess you just got to do the experiments yourself.
bevan

Reactions: derelictp
Yes bevan, I also noticed the very big improvement in being neutral.

This also makes your body parallell to the direction of the movement which also add hydrodynamic benefit. That's the main reason for me to use an additional neckweight to my waistbelt.

I have trained for 6 years without neckweight so I need more training to adapt to it, I think.

Yes, Dorelictp. You're right. I'm not using regular weightbelt. For me that neckweight is enough, even though I'm not absolutely neutral. I'm swiming with classic finswimming technique(mono) and I think that technique doesn't make good with regular weight belt.

Never seen any neckweights in shops so i assume you guys make this yourself.
How , with what , what type of locking mechanisme....

Greetzzz,

Glennv

Reactions: flyboy748
I have not seen neckweights for sale.

My construction is very simple here is two examples:

Attachments

• 106_0602.jpg
    106_0602.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 387
for DNF I used up to now :

1 kg at the neck (2 ankle weights tied together)

+

0.5 kg at the waist ;

But I feel my legs a bit heavy with this configuration...

I am going then to buy a second pair of ankle weights (2 X 0.500 kg) and get a 2 kg necklace with nothing at the waist ;

I feel that it is a configuration typical of DNF, isn't it ?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT