• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Neck-weight from ankle weights.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

xristos

Sep 5, 2013
neckweight.JPG

Has anyone tried such a neck-weight?
What are the pros and cons?

I think this is made from ankle weights. I tried to find such ankle weights and found some weighing 1 kg pair, 0.5kg for each leg.

Can you fit enough of this weights to make 1.5kg neck weight? The brand i found was 5 weights each leg so they are 100 g each.
Is this neck weight comfortable to wear?

I think they are longer lasting than DIY neck weights since no tube to get destroyed after some use.
They also have less surface area so less corrosion on the lead.
And most important they dont hold water like DIY neck weights will.

Hello!
The weight of each weight should be about 200 grams, then 8-9 pieces of them can fit on the neck.
I ordered a load of a similar design for myself, I will have it in a few days, I can share my impressions.

Those look really nice, never seen tiny belt loop type weights before. It looks like linking the ends together instead of weaving the belt through could make it a slim assembly. This would be an advantage over the sausage weights that tend to squeeze into the neck with arms high and bunch up on one end often. Do divers have any methods for keeping neck weights close to the collar or limit if from riding the chin when inverted?

Those look really nice, never seen tiny belt loop type weights before. It looks like linking the ends together instead of weaving the belt through could make it a slim assembly. This would be an advantage over the sausage weights that tend to squeeze into the neck with arms high and bunch up on one end often. Do divers have any methods for keeping neck weights close to the collar or limit if from riding the chin when inverted?
If you mean limit the interference with a charged mouthfill. I think neckweights that have an area without weight at the place of the chin aim to achieve that. Most neckweights have less weight on the front. Eg chabaug, alchemy. But it has to hug the neck. I guess it's a problem you try to control but cant solve.

I found a ankle weight of 5 lbs that was long enough to fit around my waist. Ran about $45 at one of the local dive shops. It wasn't enough to go neutral/negative at 25-30 ft, but was enough to make diving easier in a 7/5 or 5 wetsuit.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT