• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Need advice on gun.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Dont think about it to much my first gun was a 60cm and i still use it!!
(for caves etc)
Also it is better to start with something short because u HAVE TO LEARN how to get close to fish!!
what fish ure trying to get over there?

Reactions: spaghetti
Pneumatics have a lot of advantages but limited use. They are THE tool for looking in holes and blowing the crap out of fish at point blank range. However if a fish swims by you in open water you need to try to beat it to death with the butt end of your gun as you have no chance of shooting it with an air gun. Pneumos can be converted to long range guns with a dry barrel, small piston, light spear, Maori Mamba kit but that's advanced stuff. Take it back and swap it for a euro 90, you messed up.

Dave

Reactions: Mr. X
Smartpart, I don't know what lakes your spearing in or what area of the country, but it shouldn't matter. I wanted a 75cm OMER Cayman HF. Technosport did not have the 75's so I got a 90cm instead. I looked at the air guns and read on here. I was afraid I would be disappointed so I went with a band gun. I like the 90cm gun, I'll most likely get a 75cm gun for lower vis days. I'm also getting a 100cm HF2 LE once Technosport gets them in and shipped out to our store. Not sure if I'll use it, mount it on the wall or sell it. Maybe I should order 2 :)

I'm not sure what you paid, but you will probably be fine with your gun. It will hopefully be enough for you to realize if you like spearing or not.

A guy that I have had the pleasure to spear with up in Wisc. used a pnuemo the last trip and did great with it. His is a Mares Cyrano 970.

Let us know how your first trip goes and GOOD LUCK!

Ill be spearing small fish. Like Bass etc. (Dont tell me about legal stuff) All lake fish idk. I just wanna go shoot some fish.

I'm guessing it will do fine in lower vis for you. The biggest concern I see is the noise of the gun. I don't know how loud that particular gun is. Best thing to do is use it, learn it and it will serve you well. If you like it and it shoots fish, then it's a good gun. You could search the forum here and see if people have had any issues.

What state are you hunting in?

you'll be fine, just get out there in the water. I started with a Seac Asso 65, an air gun I still rank as better than my newer Omer Cayman 90. Everyone LOVES to say how noisy and inaccurate air guns are, but I come home with more fish than them every time ;) Band guns are real noisy too with metal wishbones.

Try some underwater targets, bottles held down with stones etc to improve your aim.

good luck

The gun make is fine. Its probably a bit short thats all. You can slaughter fish with pneumatics.

So will the gun I ordered server me well or not?

My first gun ever was a 55 pneumatic (Mares Ministen) back in 1988, so I can say that's perfect as a first-gun-ever ! :)
I have really good memory with my first 55, lots of fun and lots of fish. Ah, to be 19 again....
But remember: never shoot or load out of water if you want to stay alive, and never aim towards anybody or against yourself. This is fundamental.

We all have one somewhere, they may be loud as hell but they do the job in caves, heres a pic of my coll of Cressi SL's i use 45, 35 and the nemrod clipper, the shafts are rusty from lack of use on the 35 and clipper,but i do take one 45 with me always. lots of caves in cyprus. and the stainless shaft is strong as hell and the tips are replacable, and the short shaft reduces snagging in the hole.so you have not made a bad choice in the sl as you can always use it when you buy new guns.

peter

Attachments

• guns 003.jpg
    guns 003.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 148
Peter I hate to disappoint you mate, but the pink thingy in your pic is glaringly a hair dryer....................................................rofl rofl :rcard

Reactions: Mr. X and foxfish
Yea, they used to make them with style and design in mind in the old days :inlove, its absolutly usless for anything but plugging grouper in between the eyes if he wont come out of the hole:naughty:naughty. havnt used it in years, but it does still work though:)

Peter.

But remember: never shoot or load out of water if you want to stay alive, and never aim towards anybody or against yourself. This is fundamental.
This statement reminded me of this video: http:// youtube.com/ watch?v=JDj7hWUN3bY
(I put spaces in the url, since the forum puts the video in the page and some people may not like the still image that is shown)

WARNING!!! :naughty Don't watch it if you are squeamish!

I am not sure how a person gets a paryliser prong in their hand? Hand on a rock spear in the other hand and opps??

Last edited:
I asked the same question a while back. I have gotten good feedback on the Beuchat and Riffe guns. It looks like 123scuba.com is still running that sale too!

Spearguns: 123scuba.com

Beuchat makes some good gear, but, honestly speaking, stay away off the Rascasse 350: it's a gun for children to practice on octopus, useless for anything else. For a short gun get a pneumatic, or at least a 60 centimeters bandgun for the hole job.
Hope this helps.

looks nice! two small points:
- buy a spare spear when you buy the gun
- those "spear guides" kinda suck as they twist around and eventually become "spear diverters" keep an eye on them and even consider epoxying them in place when everything is new and checked straight

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT