• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Need feedback on Freediving tutorial video, as well as bleeding question.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Shaneguth3

Sep 27, 2015
Hey guys, pleasure to be here. I just started a youtube channel in which I research and practice a discipline for a month in hopes of not only learning from it but inspiring others to do the same and become more active, while developing skills and hobbies. I just posted one on freediving based on extensive research and formed a training schedule, but I need feedback from experienced freedivers, any tips to increase it's effectiveness is greatly appreciated, as other beginning freedivers may come across it. You can check it out here:

Also, I've always loved snorkeling and have been able to dive decently for someone who's never trained for it. But the other day at a spring with a friend I dove down to a cave about 50ft deep and looked around. I crouched on the bottom and then launched up as hard as I could. Which is something I do a lot, just for fun. Apparently I did something wrong though, because when I reached the surface I coughed up blood....

It was pretty intense because I had no idea what had happened. I have footage of it I could upload if it helps, but I just started this program and I'm supposed to be doing breathing excercises and stuff but I'm scared to if my lung is damaged, but I also don't want to scare people off because I've been deeper than that and never had any problems. I did a little research but I don't think it's a lung squeeze as I wasn't very deep.

Also it wasn't very bad because there wasn't any pain and the bleeding stopped pretty quick and I feel fine now. I had packed my lungs pretty tight with air (Not using the actual packing technique.) So I'm not sure if I just launched up too quicky with too much pressure in my lungs? Or if it was actually a tracheal injury? I'm not sure, any thoughts?

Your symptoms do sound like a squeeze. If you are not used to diving at depth and perform rapid movements involving a lot of strain (like launching from the bottom, possibly arm assisted) you get a perfect recipe for one. The largest relative pressure changes happen in the first few meters, so even a depth of 15m can be dangerous. You won't feel any pain because your lungs do not posess nerves for that. So while your idea of trying different sports is amicable sports such as freediving should be learned under proper supervision. Because the way you approach it now and make it public will not only endanger you but potentially others as well. Finally, you should not dive for a few days now in order to heal your squeeze and you should also note that each squeeze will make you more susceptible for another one.

Reactions: Saltylake
Your symptoms do sound like a squeeze. If you are not used to diving at depth and perform rapid movements involving a lot of strain (like launching from the bottom, possibly arm assisted) you get a perfect recipe for one. The largest relative pressure changes happen in the first few meters, so even a depth of 15m can be dangerous. You won't feel any pain because your lungs do not posess nerves for that. So while your idea of trying different sports is amicable sports such as freediving should be learned under proper supervision. Because the way you approach it now and make it public will not only endanger you but potentially others as well. Finally, you should not dive for a few days now in order to heal your squeeze and you should also note that each squeeze will make you more susceptible for another one.

Thought so, thanks for the feedback. Don't worry I won't encourage anyone else to do anything similar. Feedback on the actual training exercises would also be appreciated, as you've noted my inexperience, especially if you're worried about me endangering others, I can update them. And I have been quite a bit deeper. I just wasn't aware that a rapid ascent at that depth could cause a lung squeeze. I was planning on waiting about a week before starting the breathing exercises but do you think it would be ok as long as I don't dive?

Thought so, thanks for the feedback. Don't worry I won't encourage anyone else to do anything similar. Feedback on the actual training exercises would also be appreciated, as you've noted my inexperience, especially if you're worried about me endangering others, I can update them. And I have been quite a bit deeper. I just wasn't aware that a rapid ascent at that depth could cause a lung squeeze. I was planning on waiting about a week before starting the breathing exercises but do you think it would be ok as long as I don't dive?

It's not about rapid ascent, it's about rapid movement of your limbs that will stretch the muscle in your ribcage that encase the compressed lung. How long you should not dive is not easy to say, I personally would wait two weeks, but some more experienced divers might have different opinions.

Three points on your video:
  • If you freedive for one month, there is absolutely no reason to talk about packing. It is dangerous and should only be practised by very experienced divers. And as you rightfully say, some high level freedivers dispute its usefulness.
  • There's only one point in the video where there's some text about safety. And that comes way after you encourage people to do a breathhold in water. This even more proves my point that you are potentially endangering others.
  • If I were to make such a video I would encourage others to take a freediving course in order to learn about proper safety techniques. Because once you know them freediving is not such a dangerous sport anymore.

Reactions: Saltylake

Yeah I saw that statement, and I agree completely. And while I said it was dangerous and not recommended for beginners and arguably completely unnecessary perhaps you misunderstood me. I was only going to cover what it was in greater detail in a later video from an educational standpoint, not encourage beginners to do it.

But I appreciate your input and responses. Although I also have to point out I didn't encourage people to do their initial breath hold in water, but to simply pause the video and record themselves holding their breath for as long as they could to establish a starting point.

I agree with your concern for better stressing the dangers of freediving and including more safety precautions, I'll be sure to do better.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT