• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

need for speed...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

andrsn

Just visiting...
Aug 26, 2001
i was wondering how you guys close that last bit of distance to get that shot off on those critters that make you chase them.?

aquiles and i do the 'stutter flutter' where we do short bursts of hard shallow kicks, then glide. once we think we can get into range, we pump out some steady hard kicks to close that distance and then glide right before we pull trigger.

i know there are better and more patient stalking techniques, but some of these fish where i hunt are pretty solitary and won't look back when they want to get away from you.

anderson

I do one of two things.....

I see a bass in the distance, so I normally try to anticipate where he's going, then I try to find a "covered" route to get near him, so he won't see me coming, if there isn't one i'll try and sneak from where I am v.v.v.v.slowly using only one leg to kick, and holding my breath even if i'm on the surface.....

If he starts to move away slowly i'll keep looking for that covered route to get him - even if it means backtracking a bit.....because once he's bolted thats it game over!

if i'm semi in range then I'll just do a holddown till he swims near, and if he starts to swim away i'll take a pot shot with the Desert Eagle.......

You try and do the stutter flutter with bass and they'll hear you a mile off and bolt......

but as a last resort if he sees me and bolts i'll bolt after him and pot shot it again......doesn't work often shooting on the fly - but sometimes.......

Hey Anderson,

I do not have years of experience, however a guy I met in Northern CA taught me to act like I have stopped the chase by averting my eyes, using periferal vision to track the fish and slow down until the fish calms. Then veer off slightly and gradually accelerate (stil using periferal vision) this will often result in closing the gap and often the fish will doubleback. Oh, and of course keep the spear in line with the target so when it turns broadside...bink. Din Din

I hope this works in warm clear water.

Of course, crispin is talking about stalking the big boys and this technique will never work as we would need a turbo button or solid fuel ass booster to keep up with a spooked pelagic. :D

Glad you got to go home for a break. Stay warm,

Aaron

stalking tech

When I was chasing fish down in the warm clear waters of So. FL I usually hung back behind the grouper or snapper and used long steady kicks to keep the fish in sight but not spook it anymore an possible. After awhile it would eventually hole up then I would get over the spot try to relax, breath up, and then gentlely glide to the bottom. If the fish started moving I would start long steady kicks to keep pace w/ the fish and try to close the distance. I think the change in speed and motion scare alot of fish. I've also noted that larger snapper will stay in a area. I've chased several from a coral head or section of hard bottom and returned later to find them back again.
Of course here w/ vis not much past the end of your gun I just go to the bottom and slowly pull myself along or sit and wait. What tech. did you use for those butterflies and tangs Anderson?
Jay

bflies and tang

those aren't that bad to photograph. my down times at 20-25 feet were approaching 2'30". it takes about 1'00" for them to get comfy and come back out over their coral. then it takes a bit to wait for them to start posing for ya. ;)

Tech.

man you must camp out on this site, talk about a quick reply. Keep up the good work. 2'30" BT, pretty good I'm going to have to start practicing.
Jay

jay,

i get a text message on my phone from db when someone replies to a thread i've subscribed to. plus, it's real easy to quit the boredom at work and check out who's been writing smack. :D

later,
anderson

ps. my stinger is awesome. i have an alarm set at 1'45" cause most of the time i'll forget to go back up for air. ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT