• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Need help buying a mask

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Atlas2002

Aug 6, 2020
Hello, Iam new to spearfishing, i need help buying a mask, my tought is cressi nano mask or cressi calibro, what your thought?
*sorry for my english it not my primary language

Cressi Nano seems popular. Also Technisub Aqualung Micromask. Both have been on sale at Amazon at different times. The former was just £19.99 recently - I almost bought one but really don't need it. The latter was selling for about £31 I think. I think the Cressi Superocchio might be similar.

I might try the Cressi Matrix, a larger mask, next time. It seemed good when I tried on on my large face but I think the design has been tweaked at least once since then.

Last edited:
i need help buying a mask,
The one that fits your face is the right one. If you're lucky and find more than one model that fits your face, then you can choose based on other properties.

I visited every dive shop in a 60km radius when I needed to buy a new mask, just to try as many as possible. Masks are one of those things you really need to try before you buy

Agree with Leander. The mask provides an air space in front of the eyes and a clear view so the mask is the very equipment that should be chosen responsibly. Cressi is a good choice but if you want to save some money look at Kraken Aquatics, it's cheaper. I don't use it myself but my cousin does and he says he's happy with it

Reactions: Atlas2002
Hi Atlas2002.

The Mares Sumarai, Omer Abyss or Cressi Super Occhio is basically the same mask. When trying masks - 1. consider trying any of these as well. My first choice will be the Mares or the Omer. They are made of a stronger / harder silicone than the Cressi. 2. Try and test the mask in water / diving before you buy if possible. I have a bucket full of masks that fitted well "in store" but that leaked when deployed operationally. The above masks really are a benchmark for spearo masks.

Some masks tend to collapse when diving deeper in that the frame of the mask press against your skull in the area of your brows. This causes immense pain / discomfort. The above masks do not do that.

Good luck in your search.

Reactions: Atlas2002
Do any of the mentioned masks do well with a high nose bridge, one that does not press/interfere too much on the nose right between the eyes? I use a Seasoft Visionmaster for this reason and it is not a low volume mask. I hate ordering masks when it is a shot in the dark for fitting as most wont seal because my nose holds the mask too far from my face.

Are any brands narrower in the face, as this is the primary issue, the sides wont seal with the mask not sitting close enough to my face?

The Calibro has a nose pocket so big that in the store I had difficulty pinching my nose to equalise. So you might try that.

Masks for narrow faces... The Micromask and all the copies of it. Decathlon sells a Micromask copy as well, but with a softer silicone so it fits *every* face. (the good thing about massive chain-stores like that, they need stuff that fits the majority of their customers). It's also a lot cheaper than the Micromask (~ €20)

Reactions: 7BDiver
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT