• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

need help flopper vs slip tip

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

niorges

Mar 16, 2017
hello I'm working on a wooden 90 cm gun for shalow (no more than 10 m) hunting and i need help about using slip tip or flopper thx..

If its a 90 cm gun then I assume you won't be shooting really big fish and a flopper will be fine. Of course it also depends on the flesh of the fish. For instance in Southern California our premier game fish are white sea bass. Their flesh is soft and the commonly weight more than 50 pounds and can pull hard, so slip tips are used by almost everyone.

Another consideration is whether you will be shooting reef fish near rocks. Slip tips are very expensive and don't survive shots into rocks. If a flopper tip gets damaged, you can just file or grind it sharp again.

ok thanks i think the flopper will be the better option cause the gun is for reef fish, but i'm planning to diy a sliptip so ain't gonna cost a lot. Here in Cuba this kind of gear is hard to find we don't have spearfishing stores that's why i'm considering make it and try it, see how works near rocks.

If you are going to use a slip tip around rocks (bent tip or tip pounded onto shaft) or coral reefs (shaft becoming permanently attached to the reef), use less power (longer bands or smaller diameter bands). The shaft will last much longer.

i'll guess i'm going for the flopper is easer to diy and reload is faster with flopper than sliptip thanks all.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT